This year, I wanted to make my own version of Patriotic Punch, a fun and colorful 4th of July drink. Patriotic Punch uses liquids with different levels of sugar in them so that the colors stay separated. In other recipes I have seen, the blue layer is some kind of sugar-free sports drink. I knew for our 4th of July drink, I wanted something that paired a little better with Hawaiian Punch, which is what I planned on using for the red layer.
I was scouting the aisles of the grocery store and finding a very limited selection of blue drinks. Then I realized, I could use any clear drink and turn it blue with just a few drops of blue food coloring. I didn’t have to be confined to a sports drinks. I’m thrilled to say, it works perfectly and I’m going to serve these alongside my homemade peach iced tea for a fun and colorful 4th of July drink.
I think my kids will love these as much as the Uncle Sam mustache pops I made last year!
- Hawaiian Punch or any sugary red drink
- Diet 7UP or any no sugar clear soda
- Blue food coloring
- Start by adding a few drops of blue food coloring to Diet 7UP.
- Fill glass or punch bowl about ½ way with ice.
- Pour in Hawaiian Punch.
- Fill the rest of the glass or punch bowl to the top with ice.
- Carefully pour in blue Diet 7UP.
- Do not mix.