This recipe makes two Double Crust Chicken Pot Pies, one to bake now and one to freeze for later. Chicken pot pies are one of my favorite meals, and I’ve made this one a little easier by using a pre-made pie dough. This chicken pot pie has a golden double crust and is packed with tender chicken and veggies in a flavorful creamy filling. We are expecting baby number three soon, so I’m excited to have a frozen chicken pot pie all ready to go.
For this version, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper and simmered in the chicken broth. Then I strained the broth and reused it to make the filling. If you have rotisserie or leftover chicken, you can substitute those instead.
I love a homemade pie crust, but have recently tried the Pillsbury pre-made pie crusts and am totally impressed. I love them in this recipe. They are easy to use and brown up beautifully. Doesn’t that look lovely?
Bake this double crust chicken pot pie on a baking sheet on the lower oven rack to ensure the bottom crust browns. If you prefer a chicken pot pie with celery, add 3/4 cup of diced celery when sautéing the onions and carrots.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 of a cup)
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 packages of 2 pie crust ready made pie dough, a total of 4 crusts to make 2 pot pies
- 1 egg
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and chicken breasts to a pan.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and let chicken simmer on low covered until cooked through.
- Set chicken breasts aside to cool and strain chicken broth if needed.
- Once chicken breasts are cooled, dice or shred.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan of medium low heat.
- Add onions and carrots and cook over medium low heat until softened, but not browned.
- Sprinkle in flour and continue cooking about a minute more.
- Stir in chicken broth, bring to a boil and let simmer until thickened.
- Stir in cream, chicken and frozen peas.
- Season with one teaspoon of salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Once filling is prepared, lay pie crust dough on 9 inch glass pie dish.
- Fill with half of filling, then add top pie dough.
- Fold edge of top dough under bottom pie dough and pinch together to close.
- Cut slits in top of pot pie to let vent.
- Beat one egg with a tablespoon of water and brush over top of pie dough.
- Place pot pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake on lower rack of oven for 40-45 minutes until pie crust is browned.
- If top crusts browns too quickly, lightly cover with aluminum foil.
To freeze, let filling cool completely. Assemble pot pie in a disposable pie pan, leaving off egg wash. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil, followed by plastic wrap. Freeze up to three months.
To cook frozen chicken pot pie, remove from freezer and unwrap completely. Brush on egg wash and cook as directed increasing cooking time until pot pie is heated through, about one hour and fifteen minutes.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.