Beef Stew is the ultimate cold weather comfort food and the Instant Pot let’s you have a delicious homemade beef stew in less than an hour. This Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe is sure to become a family favorite. With just a few simple ingredients, you have a delicious Beef Stew packed with tender veggies and a flavorful broth. Like me, you may have heard your friends talking about their Instant Pots and sharing recipes on Facebook. I purchased one back in July and it has quickly become one of my favorite kitchen appliances. Scroll to the bottom of this post for more Instant Pot Recipes that are great to start with!
Start by trimming off any excess fat from the stew meat. The Instant Pot doesn’t render the fat in the same way that a slow cooker does, so I find it’s best to start with less fat on the meat. The meat will still be tender, it’s just that the fat doesn’t melt away like it does if it’s cooked low and slow.
Toss the stew meat with flour, salt and pepper and sear. Honestly, when working with 3 pounds of stew meat, the searing can be the most time consuming part in an Instant Pot. The Instant Pot gets very hot, but the surface area for searing is not very big. I seared the meat in three batches to make sure each piece had a good sear. To speed the process along, you can sear the meat in a large cast iron skillet and knock it out in one batch.
Once the meat is seared, remove it from the Instant Pot and deglaze the pot using 1/2 cup of red wine. Any kind of red wine you prefer to drink will be fine! Once the wine has reduced, return meat to pot along with veggies, beef stock and tomato paste. Lock the lid in place and set Instant Pot to High Pressure for 20 minutes using manual mode. Let Natural Pressure Release for about 10 minutes and then turn valve releasing any excess pressure. Stir in parsley and additional salt and pepper as needed.
- 3 pounds of beef stew, cut into 1-inch pieces and fat trimmed
- 1/3 cup flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups reduced sodium beef stock
- 1/4 cup of chopped Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
- In a large bowl, combine stew meat with flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in Instant Pot using Saute function adjusted to high and sear beef in batches.
- Remove stew meat from Instant Pot and wine.
- Let wine reduce by half.
- Return beef to Instant Pot and add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, tomato paste and beef stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add lid to Instant Pot, turn Pressure Release Valve to Sealing and set Instant Pot to High Pressure for 20 minutes using Manual mode.
- Once 20 minutes countdown is completed, let Instant Pot Natural Pressure Release for about 10 minutes.
- Then turn Pressure Release Valve to let any remaining pressure escape.
- Carefully open lid, angling Instant Pot lid away from you as your twist it off to avoid the hot steam.
- Stir in flat leaf parsley and additional salt and paper as needed.
The Instant Pot is really a must-have kitchen tool! I’m excited to share more recipes soon!
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.
For even more dinner ideas, check out these easy dinner recipes!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
If you like this recipe, you may also like some of my recent favorites: