This Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup is so delicious and easy to make! Tender ditalini pasta, cannellini beans and red beans in a rich and flavorful broth. My favorite thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. Use hot Italian sausage for a spicy kick, or use Italian-style turkey sausage to lighten it up. I like to add a couple of handfuls of chopped baby spinach for another serving of vegetables. You can also add chopped carrots to the onion and garlic while sautéing. Top it all off with freshly grated parmesan cheese for a truly tasty pasta e fagioli soup.
Make sure you are using a 6 quart or larger slow cooker for this recipe to ensure that everything fits. This recipe makes eight hearty portions of pasta e fagioli! We served this with homemade focaccia bread (recipe coming soon!) for a delicious italian-style dinner.
In this soup, I use whole peeled tomatoes and used my kitchen shears to roughly chop them while they are still in the can. I like the texture of the pieces of whole tomatoes and feel like they have a fresher taste. Feel free to substitute a can of crushed tomatoes, if you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 pound of Italian sausage, Itailian-style turkey sausage or ground beef
- 1 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 quart of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and several turns of freshly ground pepper
- 1 15oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16oz can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces of uncooked ditalini (small macaroni) pasta
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach, chopped
- freshly grated parmesan for topping
- In a large skillet, saute onions, garlic and crushed red pepper in olive oil over medium heat, just until onions start to soften.
- Add sausage to skillet and brown, breaking up as it cooks.
- Transfer skillet contents to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add canned tomatoes, breaking them up by hand or with kitchen shears before they go into the slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth, water, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add beans and uncooked pasta.
- Continue cooking until pasta is tender.
- Once pasta is tender, stir in fresh spinach and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
You can use Sweet Italian Sausage, Hot Italian Sausage, Turkey Sausage (casings removed if using links), ground beef or ground turkey in this recipe depending on your preference.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
You may also like: