This Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Cup is still one of my favorite recipes on my blog! A fresh, homemade chocolate chip cookie that you can make in the microwave. No, really! It’s a simple recipe that uses the same ingredients as a traditional chocolate chip cookie, but takes just minutes to prepare and cook! I first shared this recipe five years ago and it immediately went viral, people loved it and they still do! It’s one of my most popular recipes so I thought it was time to update the post and pictures a bit.
Start by melting a tablespoon of real butter in a microwave safe mug. Just heat until the butter starts to melt, it doesn’t need to be boiling hot. Then add a tablespoon of granulated white sugar, a tablespoon of firmly packed dark brown sugar and stir until well combined. Add 1/8 a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract and a pinch of kosher salt and stir again. Then stir in one egg yolk. This is the key to the great texture! Egg white get very rubbery when cooked in the microwave, so make sure to just use the yolk.
Then stir in 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour. Spoon flour into 1/4 cup measuring cup and level with a knife to make sure the flour isn’t overpacked. Finally, stir in 2 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips. At this point, you will have a lovely thick cookie dough. If it doesn’t resemble cookie dough, then go back and double check your ingredient list. Since this is a single serving size portion, changes to the recipe or measurements can really change the outcome of the cookie.
Once the cookie dough is ready, I like to add a few extra chocolate chips on the top before cooking. Microwave for 40 seconds to 1 minute depending on the strength of your microwave. Mine take 50 seconds to cook. Cookie will be very hot, let cool just slightly and serve warm. Do not over bake.
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of firmly packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Small pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1 Egg Yolk (discard the egg white or save for different recipe)
- ¼ cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 2 heaping tablespoons of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips plus more for topping
- Start by melting your butter in the microwave. Butter should just be melted, not boiling.
- Add sugars, and stir until well combined.
- Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Separate egg and add the yolk only to cup. Stir to combine.
- Spoon flour into 1/4 cup measuring cup and level with a knife to make sure the flour isn't overpacked
- Add flour to cup, then stir again.
- Add the chocolate chips, and give a final stir.
- Now your mixture will look like cookie dough.
- Add a few chocolate chips to the top of the cookie dough.
- Cook in microwave 40-60 seconds, start checking for doneness at 40 seconds. Mine takes 50 seconds.
- Do not cook past one minute, just like a regular cookie, this will continue cooking as it cools. If the cookie is dry or cake like, try less time.
- Serve warm.
You can see the original Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Cup post here.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.