This recipe for slow cooker tomato soup is so easy and flavorful. Perfect to throw in the slow cooker on a busy day, it’s a simple combination of tomatoes and chicken broth. I always find these simple recipes to be my favorites. Slow cooker tomato soup is perfect with a gilled cheese sandwich for a quick and easy dinner.
Last year we had so many tomatoes from our little backyard garden that I made roasted tomato soup several times. This year, our garden is not faring as well and we have yet to harvest more than a few. So I used canned whole tomatoes in this recipe, which work perfectly. Canned tomatoes have the added bonus of tasting great all year long, so this slow cooker tomato soup can be a warm and cozy meal in the cooler months.
This soup smells so good simmering away in the slow cooker. You are going to be thrilled to come home to this recipe!
- 1 quart of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 28 oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ½ a medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of heavy cream – optional
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, butter, onions and garlic to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 5 hours, or on low 7-8 hours.
- Onions will be soft and translucent when ready.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Add cream and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.