My one-pot chicken alfredo is one of my most popular recipes, and one of our family favorites. I’ve been working on a slow cooker version for a while and I’m so happy with how it turned out. I love this slow cooker chicken alfredo recipe because there is no pre cooking and the pasta cooks in the slow cooker too. It rich, filling and perfectly creamy. The best part of this recipe is that the alfredo sauce is completely homemade. Jarred alfredo sauce just cannot compete with the amazing flavor of homemade.
I’ve tried several slow cooker recipes with pasta and have never been satisfied with the texture of the pasta. it just turns into a mushy mess. The secret to successful pasta in the slow cooker is to add the pasta at the end. It just doesn’t need to simmer for hours. In this recipe, I add the pasta for the last thirty minutes of cooking time. Since slow cooker times can vary so much, you may want to check yours at the twenty minute mark just to make sure it doesn’t over cook.
I start by cooking two large boneless skinless chicken breasts in the slow cooker along with heavy cream, chicken broth and olive oil. Once the chicken is cooked through, about four hours on low, remove from the slow cooker and let rest until cool enough to shred. Use an Instant-Read Thermometer
to make sure your chicken has reached 165 degrees.
While the chicken is cooling, cook pasta for 20-30 minutes on high in the slow cooker. Once pasta is tender, stir in chicken, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Use freshly grated parmesan cheese for best results. I like to use this to grate my parmesan.
- 2 large chicken breasts, about 1 pound total
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of finely shredded parmesan cheese, 4 oz
- 1/2 pound of uncooked penne pasta, about 2 1/2 cups measured
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 a cup of hot water
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Add chicken breasts, heavy cream, chicken broth, olive oil and one teaspoon of salt to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about four hours, until chicken has reached 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and set aside to cool and shred.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of hot water and penne pasta, cover and cook on high for about 30 minutes. Just until pasta is tender.
- Once pasta is tender, stir in parmesan cheese, shredded chicken and additional salt and black pepper to taste.
- Thin sauce with additional hot water, only if needed.
This is delicious served with a simple side of steamed broccoli!
Find even more easy dinner ideas here!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
You may also like: