Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a quick and easy dinner with all the flavors of a traditional chicken pot pie. This soup is so creamy and delicious. It is the perfect use for a store bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorite meals, but it can be time consuming. Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all the flavors of a traditional chicken pot pie in a fraction of the time. In this recipe, I start with making a traditional chicken pot pie gravy and adding rotisserie chicken and frozen shredded hash brown potatoes to cut the cooking time way down. I also use store bought pie crust for the perfect buttery and crunchy soup topping.
This is such a great dinner idea, and perfect for using up leftover chicken or a store bought rotisserie chicken. This is quick cooking as well. Since we are using hash browns instead of diced potatoes, you save time by not having to peel or dice potatoes, and they are tender in just a few minutes.
What really makes this soup though is the pie crust topper. I use two store bought pie shells, they are usually sold in packs of two in the freezer section, and bake them according to the package directions.
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 6 cups of chicken stock - plus additional to thin if soup is very thick
- 4 cups of frozen shredded potatoes used for hash browns
- 4 cups of cooked diced or shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 2 Frozen pie shells
Bake pie shells according to package instructions. Once cooled, break into bite size pieces to sprinkle on top of soup.
- In a large stock pot, melt butter and cook onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until softened.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook about one minute more.
- Add chicken stock and increase heat to medium high.
Once chicken stock begins to simmer, add hash browns and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes begin to break down and thicken soup.
- Add chicken and let simmer until heated through, then add heavy cream and frozen peas and let simmer about 5 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and adjust consistency of soup with additional chicken stock if needed.
- Sprinkle with flat leaf parsley and serve with pie shell pieces.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS