A few weeks ago, I shared my favorite recipe for homemade salsa. Since then, I have received lots of comments and emails with your favorite variations. I loved all the suggestions so much, I thought I would come up with another recipe. This fire-roasted salsa recipe is so good, perfectly smokey and spicy. Perfect on a crispy tortilla chip, or served on top of a grilled steak.
For this salsa recipe, I used fire-roasted tomatoes and a chipotle pepper from a can of chipotle in adobo sauce. I also added a tablespoon of the adobo sauce to the salsa. It gives the salsa a wonderful smokey flavor and is delicious paired with the sweetness of the tomatoes.
If you aren’t familiar with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, you can usually find them in the hispanic section of the supermarket. If I’m only using one or two in my recipe, I put the rest of the peppers in a baggie and freeze them individually. I really love to use them in my chili recipes, like my Dr. Pepper Chili.
- 2 14.5 oz cans of diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 chipotle pepper from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle in adobo sauce from the same can as the pepper
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice from one lime
- 1/4 cup of loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
Recipe note: Make ahead and refrigerate for a few hours for best flavor.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS