This CrockPot Whole Chicken is the best and easiest way to make a seasoned rotisserie style chicken at home.
CrockPot Whole Chicken
One of my favorite ways to make a whole chicken is in my CrockPot. It’s so easy to throw together, and at dinner time you have a perfect whole chicken to eat or shred and use in another recipe. It’s budget friendly and perfect for meal prep!
How to Make a Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker
- Start by placing foil balls in the bottom of the slow cooker. This step is not absolutely necessary, I have thrown the chicken in many times without. The benefit is that it is easier to remove from the slow cooker in one piece if the bottom of the chicken hasn’t been simmering away in the juices all day. It’s really delicious either way, but creating a foil ball rack in the slow cooker makes it more like a traditional roasted chicken you can carve. If you have a rack that came with your slow cooker or even your Instant Pot, you can use that instead. If it fits and is heat proof, it works!
- Remove any insides and place chicken on foil balls and pat dry with paper towels. Season the entire chicken, inside and out. I use salt, pepper, paprika and coarse all-purpose steak seasoning.
- Cook chicken on high for 3 to 4 hours depending on size of chicken and strength of your slow cooker. Times will vary, so use a food thermometer to ensure the chicken has reached 165 degrees. Let your chicken rest on a cutting board for about 20 minutes before carving.
Crockpot Whole Chicken
This post was originally published and went viral in 2013. The recipe is so simple and good, so I haven’t made any changes, just updated the pictures. This is still one of my favorite ways to make a whole chicken. So easy and hands off!
Rotisserie Style Chicken
Rotisserie Style Chicken is perfect for:
- Serving as a Main Dish
- Make Ahead Meal Prep
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Corn on the Cob
Making a whole rotessierie style chicken is a snap in the Crockpot.
- 5 pound chicken giblets removed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons steak seasoning coarse gourmet style blend
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Season whole chicken inside and out. Spray slow cooker insert wkith non stick cooking spray for easier clean up. Place chicken on foil balls inside crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Instant Read thermometer should read 165 degrees when inserted in thickest part of thigh..
I like to use the juices at the bottom of the slow cooker to baste the chicken while it is resting, just to add even more flavor.
Though the skin is flavorful, it doesn't really get crispy with this cooking method.
I use a 6 quart slow cooker and my chicken fits perfectly.
Resist opening the lid to check progress. Slow cookers take a long time to come back up to temperature and cooking time will need to be extended.
Cooking time really varies with slow cookers. If your slow cooker runs hot on the high setting, it may be ready closer to the 3 hour mark. If you are using a larger chicken, it will probably be ready around 4 hours.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS