These Slow Cooker Chicken French Dip Sandwiches are one of my new favorite dinners. Tender shredded chicken with melty provolone cheese on a toasted garlic bread bun, served with a hot flavorful au jus. These sandwiches are so simple, but packed with flavor. Thanks to the slow cooker, these chicken french dips make an easy weeknight meal. You’ve gotta try these sandwiches!
Start by sauteing onions on the stove top in a small amount of olive oil. Then add 1/2 cup of wine to the pan and let reduce. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker and top with chicken breasts.
Add chicken broth, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and a sprig of fresh thyme, and set the slow cooker to low for 4-5 hours.
Once the chicken breast are cooked through, remove them from the slow cooker and shred. Strain the au jus and reserve it for dipping. I also add a little juice into the shredded chicken to keep it moist.
To add another level of flavor to these delicious chicken french dips, brush the rolls with garlic butter before toasting in the broiler. We are essentially serving these sandwiches on garlic bread, and who doesn’t love that?
Pile the chicken on the toasted rolls, spoon a small amount of au jus over the meat and top with provolone cheese. I cut my slice of provolone in half so it would fit better on the rolls. I also used reduced fat provolone slices and they worked out great!
Slide the sandwiches back under the broiler for just another minute or so, until the cheese starts to melt, then serve with hot au jus for dipping.
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 quart of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 6 soft deli-style rolls
- 3 tablespoons of butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 6 provolone cheese slices
- In a medium sized skillet, on the stove top, sauté sliced onions in olive oil over medium high heat.
- Once onions have started to soften, add wine to pan and let reduce by half.
- Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker and place chicken breasts on top.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook cook on low 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and set aside to shred.
- Pour slow cooker liquid through a fine mesh strainer and discard solids.
- Reserve au jus for dipping.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, garlic powder and pinch of kosher salt.
- Brush rolls with garlic butter and toast under broiler, 2-5 minutes depending on heat of broiler. Watch closely so rolls don't burn.
- Pile shredded chicken onto toasted rolls and spoon a small amount of au jus over chicken.
- Place provolone cheese slices on top of chicken and return to broiler for another minute, or just until cheese starts to melt.
- Sprinkle sandwiches with fresh parsley and serve with a side of hot au jus.
You can see more of my slow cooker recipes here.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
See some of my easy one-pot recipes here:
More easy dinner recipes here:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS