Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken is one of our favorite easy slow cooker recipes. Pair fresh lemon and garlic with your favorite fresh herbs, and the combination is always delicious. It’s perfect for when the weather warms up and you don’t want to turn on the oven. Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken is adapted from my popular recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken. Both recipes are so easy to make, and the chicken in incredibly juicy and flavorful.
To make lemon garlic chicken in the slow cooker, start by slicing fresh lemons and garlic and laying them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add any fresh herbs that sound good. I used fresh rosemary, but fresh thyme would be wonderful as well.
When cooking a whole chicken, start by making sure you have removed any extra bits and pieces from inside the chicken. Sometimes the extra pieces, like the neck and such, are in a bag and sometimes they are not. Just make sure you have completely cleaned out the chicken.
Rinse the chicken well and pat it dry with paper towels. Season the chicken inside and out. I like to use an all-purpose steak seasoning because it has so many great chunky spices. Fill the chicken cavity with a quartered lemon, more fresh herbs, and a garlic head cut in half.
Cover the chicken with additional lemon slices and herbs.
- 4 lemons
- 2-3 heads of garlic
- 1 whole chicken 4 to 5 pounds
- Fresh rosemary or any fresh herbs
- All-purpose steak seasoning or salt and pepper
- Cut garlic heads and lemons in half and lay in bottom of slow cooker.
- Cut the bottoms off the lemons so they lay flat.
- Add a sprig of rosemary, or any herbs.
- Remove insides from chicken, rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Season chicken well, inside and out, with all-purpose steak seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Lay chicken on top of garlic and lemon slices and stuff the chicken with a garlic head cut in half, and a lemon cut in quarters.
- Cover top of chicken with additional lemon slices and rosemary.
- Turn slow cooker to high, and cook for about 4 hours, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Slow cooker cooking times vary.
- Important: Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- When chicken has reached 165, turn off slow cooker and let chicken rest for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from slow cooker, carve and serve.
- Liquid from slow cooker can be strained and served over chicken.
Recipe note: The fresh herbs will cook down in the slow cooker. I used more fresh rosemary on top of the cooked chicken in the last picture.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS