Rich, creamy and oh so chocolatey, this Stove Top Hot Chocolate is absolutely delicious. This is such an easy way to make real hot chocolate and a delicious drink to keep you warm and cozy. You can use any kind of chocolate chips in the recipe and they all turn out so delicious!
Start by heating whole milk and heavy creamy on the stove. You want to heat the milk mixture just until it’s hot, but not boiling. You’ll see steam start to come off the top and tiny bubbles forming on the side. Boiling milk will cause the chocolate to seize up, so make sure it is just hot.
Remove the pot from the burner and whisk in chocolate chips. Continue whisking until chips are completely melted.
Whisk in pure vanilla extract and a tiny pinch of salt for flavor.
Serve with marshmallows or homemade whipped cream. I found these cute snowflake marshmallows and snowflake decorative wafers at Michael’s. I think they are perfect for hot chocolate! They also had a large marshmallow sheet you can cut into shapes with a cookie cutter!
- 6 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 12 oz of semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Marshmallows or whipped cream for topping
- In a large pot, stir milk and heavy cream together.
- Over medium heat, heat milk and cream mixture until hot, but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in pinch of salt.
- Add chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract and serve.
Perfect hot chocolate!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS