I’m really excited to finally share this Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe. This is the slow cooker version of my popular one-pan chicken burrito bowl. Tender chicken simmered in a flavorful mix of Mexican seasonings combined with tasty black beans and brown rice, and topped with melty cheese, fresh ripe tomatoes and buttery avocados. This dish can be served in a bowl or wrapped in a big soft tortilla for delicious homemade burritos.
I’ve ben working on this recipe for several weeks, so I’m thrilled to finally have it perfected and ready to share. I wanted it to be easy and not require any pre cooking. With this slow cooker chicken burrito bowl, you can throw the chicken, broth and seasonings in the slow cooker and go.
I also wanted to use brown rice in this version, since so many have asked about using it in my one-pan version. My secret to perfectly cooked rice in this recipe is instant brown rice. Initially, I used regular uncooked brown rice in the slow cooker, and while the flavor was great, the raw rice just did not cook evenly in the slow cooker. Some parts were mushy, while some pieces of rice were still crunchy after hours in the slow cooker. So, I consulted with one of my must have cook books, Cooks Illustrated Slow Cooker Revolution, and found the suggestion for using instant rice. Instant rice is actually partially cooked, and adding it to the mix for the last 30-45 minutes created perfectly cooked brown rice in the slow cooker.
Start by adding chicken breasts, olive oil, low-sodium chicken broth, drained diced tomatoes, and spices to the slow cooker. Once you stir in the spices, you know it’s going to be delicious – the smell is amazing! Let cook on low for about 4 hours. Since slow cooker times vary, use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken has reached 165 degrees.
Here is the mixture after 4 hours. Doesn’t it look delicious? It smells even better! Remove chicken and set aside to let cool.
Stir in drained and rinsed black beans and instant brown rice. Cover and let cook on high for an additional 30-45 minutes. Once rice is tender, shred or chop chicken and return to slow cooker. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, cover and let melt.
Serve with choice of burrito bowl toppings. I like fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream and avocados. This also makes a delicious filling for burritos and freezes well. I’m going to double my next batch and use the extra to make freezer burritos!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 2 large breasts
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 14 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 3/4 cups of instant whole grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded colby jack cheese
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over chicken breasts and stir in canned tomatoes, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours, until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker to high and stir in instant rice and black beans.
- Let cook 30-45 minutes on high, or until rice is tender.
- Add chicken back in, top with cheese and let cook a few minutes longer until cheese is melted.
- Serve with fresh diced tomatoes, sour cream, green onions, avocados or guacamole.
Find even more easy dinner ideas here!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
You may also like: