This Broccoli Cheese Soup is incredibly flavorful and can me ready in about 30 minutes. Serve it in a toasty sourdough bread bowl for a cozy dinner or lunch.
Broccoli Cheese Soup is a family favorite in our house. My kids tend to be picky eaters, and they love this soup!
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 pounds of broccoli about 3 large heads
- Quart of chicken stock
- 2 cups of shredded jack cheese
- 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash broccoli and trim off florets.
- In a large pot, melt butter and cook onions over medium-low heat. Onions should be softened, but not browned.
- Add broccoli florets to pan and saute until bright green, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to pot and increase heat to medium high.
- Simmer just until broccoli is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Use immersion blender, or regular blender to puree soup until smooth.
- In a regular blender, puree in two batch and take care to vent blender while pureeing to avoid burns.
- Return blended soup to pot and stir in half and half.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Reheat leftover gently to avoid the cheese getting too hot and breaking the soup.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS