Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich – Toasted pecans, tart dried cranberries, and juicy bits of mandarin orange pair perfectly with tender rotisserie chicken and creamy mayo.
Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich
This Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich is so simple and delicious. Treat yourself to an amazing sandwich or salad. For the photos, I used a croissant but this chicken salad is fantastic alone, in a wrap, or in lettuce cups. It’s really great for making ahead for parties.
Ingredients for Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- Rotisserie Chicken – use a combination of the dark meat and the breast of the best flavor and texture
- May0 – good quality mayonnaise, like Best Foods
- Toasted Pecans – I like to buy pecan halves and toast and chop them myself for maximum flavor
- Mandarin Oranges – use the individual cups of mandarin oranges packed in water for the perfect sizing
- Dried Cranberries – you can use dried cherries as a substitute
- Chives – or your favorite fresh herb
- Salt and Pepper – this will need to be adjusted to taste depending on how much seasoning the chicken already has
How to Make Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- Start by toasting whole pecans at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes. Measure 1/2 a cup and crush in a small baggie with a kitchen mallet or chop.
- Combine cooked chicken, mayo, crushed pecans, cranberries, and mandarin oranges in a medium-sized bowl. Use a fork to combine; oranges will naturally break up as the ingredients mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then sprinkle in chives.
Make Ahead Chicken Salad
If you want to serve these at an event or to pack in your lunch, prepare the sandwich the night before, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Make sure to spread a layer of mayo on each side of the bread to prevent it from getting soggy. This chicken salad is even better the next day.
Toasted pecans, tart dried cranberries, and juicy bits of mandarin orange pair perfectly with tender rotisserie chicken and creamy mayo.
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup mayo add more as needed
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans measure then chop
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 oz mandarin oranges drained
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
- Salt and pepper
Start by toasting whole pecans at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes, then chop.
Combine chicken, mayo, crushed pecans, cranberries, and mandarin oranges in a medium-sized bowl. Use a fork to combine; oranges will naturally break up as the ingredients mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle in fresh chives.
To make sandwiches, cut croissants lengthwise and spread both sides with additional mayo. Add lettuce and chicken salad.
- I have used all kinds of chicken for this recipe, including the drained canned chicken breast from Costco. I was reluctant to try it at first, but it was great quality and I couldn’t tell the difference.
- Start with 1/4 cup of mayo and add in a little more as needed. My amount usually varies depending on the type chicken I use.
- You can start with warm, cold, or room temperature rotisserie chicken. If the chicken is till warm, it is a little easier to mix and will absorb the other ingredients nicely.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
My absolute favorite!!! Could eat this every day!
Oh, I would love to eat this for lunch!
suggestions for mayo substitute?
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel
I definitely want this in my lunch box! It looks so creamy, with tons of yummy flavors and textures. Delish!