Shamrock Shake Recipe – a cool and creamy homemade version of this classic mint milkshake, perfect for St Patrick’s Day.
Copycat Shamrock Shake
I love the idea of a delicious minty green milkshake just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. I thought it would be fun to share my homemade version of a classic. This copycat shamrock shake is cool and refreshing. The key to this recipe is the combination of vanilla and peppermint.
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
- Vanilla Ice Cream – use Tillamook or another premium vanilla ice cream for best results. Avoid brands labeled as frozen dairy desserts.
- Milk – use more or less to achieve desired thickness
- Sugar – the key to a good homemade milkshake to it sweeten and flavor the added milk
- Pure Vanilla Extract – this is used to flavor the added milk
- Pure Mint Extract – peppermint extract would also work, but I do think it has a stronger flavor than mint, so I would recommend using less if substituting
- Green Food Coloring – either traditional drops of food coloring or gel food coloring will work. Start small and only add more gel coloring of needed after blending as it is more concentrated.
- Whipped Cream – I really like the texture and flavor of the Land O Lakes Whipped Heavy Cream. Really tastes more like homemade!
- Maraschino Cherries – look for the jars with stems attached
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A Shamrock Shake is a light green minty vanilla milkshake served at McDonald’s around St. Patrick’s Day.
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon green food coloring
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
This recipe is for 4 servings that are just slightly more than a cup. Perfect served in a double old fashioned size cup. A taller milkshake style glass will take two servings.
If you make these, please tag me on Instagram!
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
I will be saving this recipe and making it for my boys, they love the mint flavor! It looks so yummy!
I love fun foods for holidays! This is perfect for next month, and it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. It’s been pinned. Have a great weekend!
Brooke recently posted…Favorite Birthday Traditions
Yum yum yummy! Look like it would be addicting. 😉
Delicious!!! And love the colour, Thanks for the recipe and have a lovely day!
And the sprinkels is so cute! Forgot to complement them 🙂
Monsterscircus recently posted…DIY honeycomb heart
This is so cute. I love how you did the sprinkles around the rim. And the vanilla and peppermint extract sound delicious.
Yummy – yummy! Great pics!
Jenn recently posted…Slow Cooker Tomatillo Chicken Tacos
wow this looks so delicious (and super-cute!)
It looks scrumptious! Especially with the sprinkles on the rim. I’m pinning this and over from Whipperberry. Thank you!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust
This is absolutely gorgeous! It’s getting me in the mood for St. Patrick’s Day!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted…Funfetti Chocolate Chip Scones
oh man. i’m such a sucker for ice cream shakes!!!
Carissa recently posted…Crochet Infinity Scarf Tutorial
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel
Yay, I LOVE Mickey D’s Shamrock Shake! I used to get one every day after school as a kid during March. Love that it’s so easy to make!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted…Thing 1 & Thing 2 Push Up Pops
Yum!! I love Shamrock Shakes! Will definitely have to try this! 🙂
These look so fun and yummy for St Patrick’s Day! Pinned!
I am so excited to try this – I take my kid to get one every year – they think I am crazy (they are right)…but now I can make my own! YUMMY!
I just pinned this! I want to make it for my kids for St. Patricks Day. Thanks for sharing!
Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about shakes and smoothies. I do hope you link this lovely one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.
I love you for this! 🙂 Can’t wait to try it!!!
This post made me crave this shake so badly that I had to run (drive) to the store for vanilla ice cream. We’re all slurping away at the deliciousness right now 🙂
Does this work well with mint ice cream?
SO GOOD! My kids loved this recipe! I’m afraid I’m going to have to make some every weekend now, lol.
Shamrock shakes are my #1 spring guilty pleasure. Thanks for sharing this recipe so I can have them at home any time I want.
Yes! Now I can make these at home and I have no need to make trips to McDonalds!