Shamrock Shake Recipe – a cool and creamy homemade version of this classic mint milkshake, perfect for St Patrick’s Day.
Copycat Shamrock Shake
I love the idea of a delicious minty green milkshake just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. I thought it would be fun to share my homemade version of a classic. This copycat shamrock shake is cool and refreshing. The key to this recipe is the combination of vanilla and peppermint.
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
- Vanilla Ice Cream – use Tillamook or another premium vanilla ice cream for best results. Avoid brands labeled as frozen dairy desserts.
- Milk – use more or less to achieve desired thickness
- Sugar – the key to a good homemade milkshake to it sweeten and flavor the added milk
- Pure Vanilla Extract – this is used to flavor the added milk
- Pure Mint Extract – peppermint extract would also work, but I do think it has a stronger flavor than mint, so I would recommend using less if substituting
- Green Food Coloring – either traditional drops of food coloring or gel food coloring will work. Start small and only add more gel coloring of needed after blending as it is more concentrated.
- Whipped Cream – I really like the texture and flavor of the Land O Lakes Whipped Heavy Cream. Really tastes more like homemade!
- Maraschino Cherries – look for the jars with stems attached
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A Shamrock Shake is a light green minty vanilla milkshake served at McDonald’s around St. Patrick’s Day.
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon green food coloring
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
This recipe is for 4 servings that are just slightly more than a cup. Perfect served in a double old fashioned size cup. A taller milkshake style glass will take two servings.
If you make these, please tag me on Instagram!
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS