Crispy Oven Roasted Buffalo Wings – air dried and ultra crispy, this is the easiest way to make chicken wings for a crowd.Jump to Recipe
Oven Roasted Buffalo Wings
Super crispy freshly cooked chicken wings tossed in the tastiest buffalo wing sauce. Sprinkled with fresh chives and served with ranch dressing, blue cheese crumbles, carrots, and celery. These are truly better than take-out and so easy to make!
The Method – How to Make Buffalo Wings in the Oven
Super crispy and very hands-off, this is the easiest method for crispy buffalo wings. Air-drying the wings the day before by letting them sit uncovered in the refrigerator is the best method for crispy skin. A light sprinkle of salt also creates a dry brine that flavors the chicken wings from the inside out.
- Lightly Salt – lightly salt with kosher salt to flavor from the inside out.
- Air Dry – let air dry uncovered in the very dry environment of the refrigerator. The skin will look dry and translucent.
- Give Them Space – the chicken wings need plenty of space between to dry out and to roast.
- Roast at High Temperature – roasting at 400° will create a golden brown crispy skin that is as good as frying.
- Toss with warm butter and Franks RedHot sauce – the classic combination of butter and hot sauce to coat the wings is a crowd pleaser.
These are not just baked chicken wings, with this method you won’t be able to tell these are not fried. You can see how crispy they are right out of the oven in the picture above.
- Party wings are an uncooked package of mixed chicken wing drumettes and flats. Whole chicken wings that have already been divided and tips removed.
- To double the recipe, use two sheet pans and rotate positions halfway through cooking.
- Using a baking rack will ensure that the hot air circulates under the wings while roasting.
Lightly salted and air dried the night before, these are the crispiest oven roasted chicken wings.
- 2 1/2 pounds party wings mix of drumettes and flats
- kosher salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- ranch dip or dressing
- blue cheese crumbles
Start by prepping the wings the day before cooking. Spray a baking rack with non stick cooking spray and place on baking sheet. Pat wings dry and lightly salt with a sprinkle of kosher salt on both side. Place skin side up on baking rack. Set sheet pan uncovered in refrigerator on an empty shelf.
The following day, when chicken wings skin has turned translucent, roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes on rack placed in top third of oven.
Heat butter and hot sauce together and toss in a large mixing bowl with hot wings. Serve with ranch dressing, blue cheese crumbles, carrots, and celery.
Blue Cheese Vs Ranch Dressing on the side
Of course you can offer both ranch and blue cheese dressing, but for the best of both worlds, try serving ranch dressing or dip with a side of blue cheese crumbles. That way, blue cheese fans can stir the blue cheese into the ranch dressing for a semi homemade blue cheese dressing. We like to use the Hidden Valley Seasoning packages for the freshest tasting ranch dressing instead of bottled.
More Appetizer Recipes
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS