Valentine’s Day Cookie Bars – this festive cookie bar recipe is absolutely delicious and loaded with chocolate chips and red, white, and pink M&M’s.
Valentine’s Day Cookie Bars
These M&M’s Cookie Bars have become an absolute favorite in our house. I made a Christmas version that has been incredibly popular and I wanted to add a Valentine’s Day version as well. These cookie bars are so easy to make and they bake up so nicely. They are a gorgeous golden brown color and the texture of the mini chocolate chips with the crunchy M&M’s is just delicious! These Valentine’s Day M&M Cookie Bars are perfect for a crowd or a classroom. They can be cut smaller to serve more, or cut larger for a pretty presentation.
How to Make Cookie Bars
- Start by mixing the cookie dough. This is a big batch of cookie dough, so a stand mixer is perfect for the job. You can also use a large bowl and a hand mixer.
- Spread the cookie dough into a 9×13 aluminum cake pan lined with foil and sprayed with non stick cooking spray. The foil allows you to lift the bars out for easy cutting after they cool.
- I also like to add M&M’S and more of the mini chocolate chips to the top before baking for a pretty presentation. Just press they lightly in and enjoy the pretty Valentine colors!
I’ve made versions of these cookie bars for every holiday and they are always extremely popular. Here are some of my top tips based on questions people have asked.
- I initially recommended using a 9×13 glass baking dish for these cookie bars, but have found that they actually bake up more evenly in a 9×13 aluminum cake pan.
- I do not recommend using a disposable pan to bake these bars. The dough is very thick and a disposable pan does not conduct enough heat to cook them properly.
- Sprinkle the extra chocolate chips and M&M’s evenly over the top before baking. If there are too many, they fall to the middle and prevent the cookie bars from baking in the center.
- Do not add extra M&M’S or chocolate chips to the recipe for the same reason as above. The cookie bars won’t be able to bake through.
Can I use parchment paper instead of foil?
Yes, you can line the pan with parchment paper instead of foil. The reason I recommend foil is that it stays in place when transferring the cookie dough to the pan. Parchment paper will slip around quite a bit. Parchment paper may also rip when lifting the heavy cookie bars out of the pan for cutting.
More Cookie Bar Recipes
Heart Shaped Cookie Bars
For a festive twist on the cookie bars, try making them heart shaped in a 10 inch heart cake pan. The center will be slightly softer than if using a 9×13 cake pan.
Valentine's Day Cookie Bars - this festive cookie bar recipe is absolutely delicious and loaded with chocolate chips and red, white, and pink M&M's.
- 2 sticks of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Valentine's M&M's plus more for topping
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips plus more for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 9x13 aliminum cake pan with foil, leave some overhang to make removal easier.
Spray foil generously with nonstick cooking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until fluffy.
Add in eggs and vanilla extract and continue to beat.
Lower speed of mixer and add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
Add M&M's and mini chocolate chips and give a final stir, reserving some M&M's and mini chocolate chips for topping cookie bars.
Transfer cookie dough to prepared baking dish.
Press additional M&M'S and white chocolate chips into top of cookie dough.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes on middle rack of oven.
Let cool completely and cut.
I’m seriously in love with these M&M’S Cookie Bars! They are so pretty and easy to make and the very best part is they are perfectly delicious!
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS