I’ve seen quite a few recipes that use root beer or Dr Pepper and BBQ sauce to flavor beef and pork dishes. I thought it might be good in chili too, and I was right! The Dr Pepper gives it the right balance of sweet and spicy. Serve it with cornbread, on a hot dog, or on a big scoop of Fritos and you have the perfect meal for game day.
Dr Pepper Chili
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 chipotle chile en adobo chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of sauce from the can
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 can of Dr Pepper
- 1 large can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 medium can (14.5 ounces) of diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 small can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can of dark red kidney beans, drained
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil, just until they start to soften. Add salt, chili powder, chipotles and chipotle sauce and stir until combined over heat. Just a minute or two.
- Add ground beef and break up as it browns. Once browned, add Dr Pepper and scrape all the yummies from the bottom of the pan. Let reduce over medium heat to half the amount of liquid.
- Use kitchen shears (or your hands if you prefer) to cut (or crush) up the whole peeled tomatoes. You don’t need to go crazy. Just a few snip, snips to break up the tomatoes. Add tomatoes, and their juices to the pan as well as the tomato sauce and fire roasted tomatoes. Let your chili simmer on the stove for at least 30 minutes until nice and thick. Add the beans during the last five minutes so they can heat through.
- This chili is very flavorful and spicy, reduce the spiciness by using only one chipotle in the recipe.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes by clicking on these cute buttons below, and follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.Linking up at: Tatertots&Jello, The 36th Ave, Chef in Training
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS