Grinch Pancakes – homemade green buttermilk pancakes with cream cheese frosting, green whipped cream, and red heart sprinkles. These are even better than the IHOP Grinch pancakes!
IHOP Grinch Pancakes
Last year, IHOP had a special promotional menu for the 2018 Grinch movie. As soon as we saw the commercials, my kids were dying to try the Grinch pancakes. We ended up going back several times and even went for dinner once after looking at Christmas lights. It was so fun and festive! I planned to recreate them for the blog last year, but just ran out of time. I even bought the supplies and everything!
Sadly the Grinch menu is not available this year, but the good news is that these buttermilk pancakes are even better than IHOP! I’m so excited to share this recipe!
How to Make Grinch Pancakes
- Gather your supplies. In addition to the pancake ingredients, you will need green food coloring, red heart sprinkles, a frosting bag, and a frosting tip for the whipped cream.
- Start by turning your griddle to a lower heat than you would usually use. This keeps the pancakes from browning too quickly. A lower than usual heat preserves the green color of the pancakes. If they get brown, that’s fine too! They still taste great and you have a delicious cream cheese glaze to cover the top!
- When I mix my pancake batter, I always hold a little buttermilk back to I can adjust the consistency as needed.
- Once the pancake batter is mixed, add green food coloring. Start slow so you can get the right color.
- Measure batter using a 1/4 cup measuring cup to keep the size consistent.
- So the glaze and whipped cream wouldn’t melt right off, I served the pancakes at room temperature. My kids did not mind! When you are serving them warm, just be prepared to work quickly with the glaze and whipped cream.
- I used these Heart Sprinkles but purchased them at Michael’s. I separated the pink and red hearts.
- I used a large open star frosting tip for the green whipped cream.
Grinch Pancakes - green buttermilk pancakes with cream cheese frosting, green whipped cream and red heart sprinkles.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk divided
- 1/8 teaspoon green gel food coloring
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- green gel food coloring
- red heart sprinkles
Heat electric nonstick griddle to 250 degrees and adjust as needed.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine butter, eggs, vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Use remaining buttermilk to adjust consistency as needed. Stir in green food coloring a little at a time until desired color is reached.
Pour pancake batter onto griddle using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Cook 5-7 minutes, or until bubbles start to form and edges are set. Flip and finish cooking.
Beat together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar, then add milk until a spoonable consistancy is reached.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk cold heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Add green food coloring a little at a time until desired color is reached. Transfer to piping bag fitted with open star tip. You can also use a plastic baggie if you don't have a piping bag.
Assemble pancakes by spooning glaze on top, then adding green whipped cream and red heart sprinkles.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
I am dying over how gorgeous these are! My kids are going to love waking up to these!
These pancakes are such a fun treat! This easy recipe is one I will be making again and again all season!
Oh my goodness, I LOVE these! & my kids are going to go crazy over them! Can’t wait to surprise them with it!
These look interesting. Is that frosting on top? Never had that on pancakes.
My kids thought these were the coolest thing! Looks like I’ll be making these again this weekend.:)
These are so adorable and perfect for Christmas! I can’t wait to give this a try! My family is going to love this recipe!
So Grinchy and so good! The kids love them every year–It’s become a family tradition.
These are so delightfully fun! Love the grinch theme! My kids love these! Always so eager to gobble them up.
These are so festive and easy to make, the kids loved these perfect for December!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing pancake recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!