This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl is packed with flavor and so easy to make. Boneless, skinless chicken breast, Mexican rice, black beans, and tomatoes with Mexican spices. It’s so delicious and the best part is, everything cooks right in the Instant Pot. This better-than-take-out burrito bowl is going to become a family favorite.
For this recipe, I used the Non Stick Instant Pot Inner Cooking Pot for the 6 QT slow cooker. Currently it looks to be out of stock on Amazon but in stock on the Instant Pot website.
I started by browning the chicken on the Saute function set to More (which is the high heat). Just brown the chicken to give added flavor. It doesn’t need to cook through since it will continue cooking in the Instant Pot. There isn’t a lot of surface area for browning in the Instant Pot, so I recommend browning the chicken in two batches.
Once the chicken is browned, add onions and let soften 1-2 minutes. Add additional olive oil followed by uncooked rice. Stir to toast rice.
Add drained and rinsed beans, drained canned tomatoes, low-sodium chicken broth and spices.
Lock Instant Pot lid in place and set to Manual, High Pressure for 7 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure, then countdown from 7. Use Quick Pressure Release, and once pressure pin drops, open Instant Pot and fluff Chicken Burrito Bowl with fork.
Top with cheese and recover with lid just to let cheese melt. Top with your favorite toppings. I love fresh tomatoes, green onions, avocado and sour cream.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of diced yellow onion
- 1 cup of uncooked extra-long grain rice
- 1 14.5 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes drained
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 1/4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of reduced fat colby jack monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- freshly diced tomatoes
- diced green onions
- sour cream
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to Instant Pot and hit Saute button, then hit adjust button to set to More.
- Season diced chicken with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
Once oil is hot, add chicken to pot in two batches to encourage browning.
- Once chicken is browned, add onions and cook until they start to soften.
Add additional tablespoon of olive oil and uncooked rice and toast uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn golden brown. Don't skip this step. Rice needs to be toasted.
Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika and cumin. Once the liquid is added, use wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up browned bits from bottom of pot to prevent burn notice.
- Lock Instant Pot lid in place and set to Manual, High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- Use Quick Pressure Release, and once pressure pin drops, open Instant Pot and fluff Chicken Burrito Bowl with fork.
- Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
- Garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream and guacamole.
You can see more of my Instant Pot recipes here.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS