Instant Pot Pumpkin Mac and Cheese – cheesy comforting homemade mac & cheese with pumpkin added. This recipe is loaded with amazing fall flavors!Jump to Recipe
Instant Pot Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Making Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot is truly a snap! Just three minutes of high pressure and you have the perfect fall side dish. Savory seasonings, pumpkin, sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated parmesan cheese and a dash of nutmeg to compliment the pumpkin flavor. Creamy, cheesy and totally delicious.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Macaroni – or any similar sized pasta. Shells would work well too.
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth – I also use water and chicken bullion instead of chicken broth. You can also just use water or vegetable broth.
- Butter – one stick of butter
- Seasonings – onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. The pumpkin really benefits from having extra seasoning added.
- Pumpkin – canned 100% pure pumpkin
- Evaporated Milk – this is canned milk that has been reduced and some of the water removed. It’s a great quick substitute for the traditional béchamel sauce. Sweetened condensed milk is not the same as evaporated milk and should not be substituted.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – the sharp cheese adds so much flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese – freshly grated parmesan cheese from a block of parmesan. Bagged parmesan shreds will not melt into the sauce.
- Nutmeg – freshly grated nutmeg is delicious and complements the flavor of the creamy cheese sauce and the pumpkin.
- Parsley – for garnish
How to Make Pumpkin Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot
- Make sure to scroll down to recipe card for full instructions and ingredients.
- Start by cooking pasta, chicken broth, butter, pumpkin, dijon mustard, and seasoning in the Instant Pot.
- Cook on High Pressure for 3 minutes.
- Immediately release pressure and stir in evaporated milk, followed by cheddar cheese, then parmesan cheese. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish with freshly grated nutmeg and parsley.
- Macaroni and cheese will thicken as it cools. Use milk or half and half to thin as needed.
- Try substituting cheeses — smoked gouda or white cheddar would be delicious.
- When using Quick Pressure Release, do not leave the Instant Pot unattended. If liquid start to spray out of the valve, immediately use a long wooden spoon handle to close valve. Wait a few minutes and Quick Pressure Release again.
Homemade Mac and Cheese made with real pumpkin, this is the ultimate fall comfort food.
- 1 pound macaroni
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth or 5 cups of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons chicken bullion
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 stick butter cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt reduce to taste if using chicken bullion
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
Spray the inner pot of a 6 quart Instant Pot with non stick cooking spray. Add uncooked macaroni, chicken broth, pumpkin, butter, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix ingredients. Set Instant Pot to cook on High Pressure for 3 minutes. Make sure valve is set to sealing.
As soon as Instant Pot finishes countdown, use Quick Release to release pressure. Stir in evaporated milk, then cheddar cheese, then parmesan cheese. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Grate in fresh nutmeg and serve. Use milk or half and half to thin mac and cheese if necessary.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
This is so decadent and absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to eat this all the time!
This is our go-to mac & cheese all fall long! My kids love it!! It has a delicious pumpkin flavor, that isn’t too over-powering. It’s perfect & so creamy!
This is one of a kind and definitely a recipe to keep! My picky eaters at home loved it too!