This One-Pan Southwestern Chicken Burrito Bowl is a flavor packed version of my popular One-Pan Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe. This recipes gets an extra punch of flavor from canned fire roasted tomatoes, sweet yellow corn and tender black beans. This burrito bowl tastes even better than take out, and is delicious topped with fresh green onions, cool sour cream and even salsa and guacamole.
Start with a large covered sauté pan. Brown diced chicken in olive oil, then add diced onions, jalapeños and bell pepper. Once the vegetables have started to soften, move them to one side of the pan and toast the rice on the other side. This is an essential part of the recipe, the rice needs to be toasted before adding the liquids so it doesn’t get starchy and sticky.
Next add chicken broth, black beans, fire roasted diced tomatoes, corn and seasonings. Let the mixture come to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Let cook for twenty minutes, until the rice is tender.
Top with cheese and recover until the cheese is melted, just a minute or two. Add you favorite toppings, sour cream is a must for me. It’s also delicious with salsa and guacamole!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 cup of uncooked extra long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15.25 oz can of corn drained
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 cups of shredded colby-jack cheese
- diced green onion
- sour cream
- Season diced chicken with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Brown chicken in 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add onions, bell pepper and jalapeño, continue cooking until onions and peppers start to soften.
- Move chicken to one side of pan, in the other side of the pan add an additional tablespoon of olive oil and sauté uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn golden brown.
- Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, corn, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder, smoke paprika and cumin.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 off heat to melt cheese.
- Garnish with fresh green onions and sour cream.
For even more dinner ideas, check out these easy dinner recipes!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
If you like this recipe, you may also like some of my recent favorites:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS