These Frosted Peppermint Sugar Cookies are just as yummy as they look. A tender buttery sugar cookie, with a touch of peppermint, frosted with a homemade peppermint buttercream frosting. These are so pretty and perfect for gift giving. I’ve also topped them with Andes Peppermint Crunch baking bits. I just discovered these, and I love them! They are absolutely a must have for holiday baking. They are small candy bits, with tiny crunchy pieces of peppermint candy in them. I found them in the baking aisle at Target.
Frosted Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of softened butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of softened butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar and butter, and beat with paddle attachment until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract, and continue beating until combined.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Roll two tablespoons of cookie dough into a ball and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until edges are golden. Don’t over bake.
- Let cool, and frost.
- Sprinkle cookies with Andes Peppermint Crunch baking bits
- To prepare frosting, using the paddle attachment, beat butter, powdered sugar, and pinch of salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- With mixer still running, add in vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Add 2-3 tablespoon of milk a little at a time until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in several drops of red food coloring until frosting is desired pink color.
Adapted from my Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies
I like to keep these cookies covered after baking, so the frosting stays nice and soft!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
Loving this flavor combo and the pretty pink frosting!!
I found this recipe when I was trying to figure out how to use up peppermint sanding sugar. I made them when friends were visiting. Five adults crowded around me and as soon as I finished frosting a cookie, someone snatched it up. I only used half the frosting, but they were a HUGE hit. Thanks!