There are a lot of recipes for chocolate chip cookies out there, and I’m going to go ahead and add another to the mix. I think these are perfect chocolate chip cookies, let me make my case for you.
Here is why these cookies are so great:
Soft in the middle, but chewy on the edges. Perfect texture!
Semi-sweet chocolate chips AND milk chocolate chips. Best of both worlds.
No special ingredients or complicated techniques, you probably have everything to make these on hand. (If you do, you can make my Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Cup recipe, too!)
You don’t have to wait for butter to soften, or cookie dough to chill. You can whip these up quickly!
These chocolate chip cookies are big! Three tablespoons of cookie dough.
Topping the cookie dough with additional chocolate chips before baking is the secret to making these chocolate chip cookies so pretty! Perfect for gift giving.
I’ve adapted these from the Cooks Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. I absoluetly love that recipe, but my kids prefer a more traditional flavor profile, and sometimes so do I. I took what I loved about the Cooks Illustrated recipe and adapted it a little to make the perfect chocolate chip cookies for our family.
Instead of browned butter, I used melted butter, one tablespoon less than the original recipe to account for the evaporation of the butter as it browns. I also switched out the dark brown sugar for golden brown sugar because we like the milder taste of the light brown sugar.
Several years ago, I noticed that the take and bake cookie dough you can buy at the grocery store has additional chocolate chips on top. I thought this was really clever and started adding them to my cookies as well, that way the cookie has chocolate chips baked in and chocolate chips on top. Just press additional chocolate chips into the top of the cookie dough before baking.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 13 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup of firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips plus more chocolate chips for topping cookies
- Start by melting butter and setting butter aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine melted and cooled butter, both sugars, vanilla and salt. Beat on medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and egg yolk, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add in flour mixture and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Add in chocolate chips and give a final stir.
- Dough will be soft, but should be firm enough to shape into balls.
- Place cookie dough on baking sheet and top with additional milk chocolate chips.
- Bake about 9 minutes, just until edges are a light golden brown.
- Don't over bake as cookie will continue baking as it cools.
Make sure butter has cooled completely before using. Warm butter will make cookie dough overly soft. If cookie dough is very soft, let stand for about 10 minutes and it will be easier to handle.
You can find all of my cookie recipes here!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
You may also like:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS