Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken is an easy and delicious recipe you are going to love. It’s quick to throw together, and in a few hours, you have perfectly cooked BBQ chicken breasts. These are perfect served with a simple side salad. However, my favorite way to serve Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken is to shred it and mix the slow cooker juices back in. The BBQ chicken is amazing on a sandwich, a salad or in tacos!
Two of my most popular recipes are my slow cooker whole chicken and my slow cooker lemon garlic chicken. People often ask if you can substitute chicken breasts in the recipes. The answer is yes! My slow cooker BBQ chicken method can be adapted to both of those recipes. In this recipe, I removed the skin prior to cooking so the BBQ sauce can “bake” on the chicken. But the method works with skin-on, or removed.
I prefer to use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts tend to dry out quickly. They have little to no fat to render in the slow cooker. Bonus: Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts are extremely economical. I can often find them for around nintey-nine cents a pound!
- 3 large bone-in skin on chicken breasts about 6 pounds
- 2 tablespoons of all-pupose steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce
- Create 3-4 large foil balls to fit in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Remove skin from chicken breast, and season each with steak seasoning and brown sugar.
- Arrange chicken breasts on top of foil ball, and pour BBQ sauce over.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. It's important to use a meat thermometer as cooking times will vary!
- Chicken breasts can be served whole with juices from slow cooker poured over, or shred chicken and pour the slow cooker juices back over.
Tip: As in my other slow cooker chicken recipes, I utilize the foil balls as a makeshift roasting rack. This keeps the chicken from falling apart during the cooking process.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS