I love coming up with quick one pan meals for my family, and this Skillet Lasagna is my new favorite. It has all the flavors of a home cooked lasagna, but there is virtually no prep and it’s on the table in less than thirty minutes. I use fresh four cheese ravioli from the refrigerated section of the grocery store to bring this meal together. The ravioli pulls double duty, providing the pasta as well as lasagna’s traditional ricotta filling. Cheesy and satisfying, this one pan meal is sure to be a hit at your dinner table!
Start with a large skillet, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil. You can use italian sausage, italian turkey sausage (my favorite!), or lean ground beef. Hold off on salt and pepper for now and add those at the end if needed. If you like a little spice, add some crushed red pepper to the onions and garlic while sautéing.
Once the sausage is cooked through, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, low-sodium chicken broth, and the ravioli to the pan. I mentioned in my Skillet Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe that I prefer to use whole peeled tomatoes – I just use my kitchen scissors to cup them up in the can – but diced or crushed tomatoes will work too. Just use what you have on hand or what is most convenient.
Bring the pan up to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the ravioli are tender and sauce has thickened. At this point, taste and see if it needs salt and pepper. The parmesan will add additional saltiness, so you may not need any extra salt.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in fresh mozzarella and parmesan cheese. I love the melty cubes of fresh mozzarella in this recipe, but shredded mozzarella cheese will work great too!
If you like this recipe, check out my popular One-Pan Chicken Alfredo.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of Italian Sausage, Italian Turkey Sausage or Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 a medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes, crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 9 oz packages of Buitoni four cheese ravioli, from the refrigerated section
- 8 oz of fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Add olive oil to large skillet.
- Sautee onions and garlic, over medium heat, until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up with wooden spoon while it browns.
- Once sausage is cooked through, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and ravioli.
- If using whole peeled tomatoes, use kitchen shears to chop them up while still in the can before adding to skillet.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer until ravioli are tender and sauce has reduced and thickened, 15-20 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella and parmesan.