I made this Baked Tortellini Casserole earlier this week, and it was so delicious, I just had to share! This dish is really easy to put together, and it is packed with flavor. I made this in the afternoon when I had some down time and reheated it in the evening for dinner. It was so good! This would definitely make a great freezer meal, or a meal to deliver to a friend or loved one.
For this baked tortellini casserole, I used one large skillet and one casserole pan. I made a quick basic meat sauce with onions, garlic, ground beef and canned tomatoes. But instead of simmering and reducing the sauce, I combined the cheese and fresh uncooked tortellini, and let the entire mixture bake in the oven. Just be sure to keep it tightly covered with foil so it stays moist. The foil keeps the moisture in and cooks the tortellini as it bakes.
If you really love cheese, you could definitely go up to 4 cups. Or if you are trying to cut back, just 2 cups of cheese would work as well! You can see even more of my dinner ideas here.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of lean ground beef 97/3
- Small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes, or whole peeled tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 24 oz package of fresh cheese tortellini
- 3 cups of freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil, until soft.
- Add ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Once beef is cooked through, stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Stir in uncooked, fresh tortellini and 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to casserole dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
For this recipe, I used Seven Cheese Olivieri Tortellini. It is absolutely delicious and I picked it up in the refrigerated section at Costco.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.