Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – Thick and soft chocolate chip cookie bars baked in an 8×8 pan. This smaller batch version of my popular cookie bar recipe is perfect for families!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
I’ve been working all week on adapting my super popular cookie bar recipe to a smaller version. I’m happy to report that these are my favorite version yet! Loaded with semi-sweet chocolate chips and using just one stick of butter and two eggs, I’m hoping you already have everything you need on hand to bake these. Plus, I tested them in the classic 8×8 square Pyrex baking dish, which I’m also hoping you already have on hand.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Tips
- Line the baking dish with foil, then spray the foil with non stick cooking spray. Once the cookies are cooled, you can lift them out and cut them into squares.
- If you don’t have foil, you can use parchment paper. Try crumbling it up then smoothing it out flat. This was a great reader tip to keep it from sliding around the dish.
- You can also bake directly in the glass baking dish and cut the bars in the pan.
- For best presentation, top cookie bars with additional chocolate chips before baking.
- Cookie bars will be soft at first but will continue to set as they cool.
- You’ll need 1 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe.
What kind of chocolate chips do I need?
Classic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, or whatever you have on hand. In my other cookie bar recipes, I have used chocolate chunks, M&M’S and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. For this recipe, I really wanted to use what I thought most people would have on hand or would have stocked up on. I made the cookie bars several times with varying amounts of chocolate chips to get the perfect balance.
Thick and soft chocolate chip cookies bars baked in a 8×8 pan. This smaller batch version of my popular cookie bar recipe is perfect for families!
- 1 stick butter, softened (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 glass baking dish with foil and spray with non- stick cooking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until fluffy. Add vanilla extract, salt, and eggs one at a time, and continue mixing, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
Mix in flour and baking soda. Once cookie dough is well combined, add chocolate chips and give a final stir. Transfer cookie dough to baking dish and top with more chocolate chips. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cookie dough is just set. Do not over bake, cookie bars will continue cooking as they cool.
More Cookie Bars
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS