Baked Tortellini – this easy cheesy baked casserole is made with fresh tortellini and a quick homemade meat sauce.
For this baked tortellini casserole, I used one large skillet and one casserole pan. I made a quick basic meat sauce with onions, garlic, ground beef, and canned tomatoes. Instead of simmering and reducing the sauce, I combined the cheese and fresh uncooked tortellini, and let the entire mixture bake in the oven. Just be sure to keep it tightly covered with foil so it stays moist. The foil keeps the moisture in and cooks the tortellini as it bakes.
Baked Tortellini Tips
- Look for fresh refrigerated tortellini in the deli section of the supermarket.
- You can use your favorite jarred sauce in this recipe. Just substitute the jarred sauce for the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- This reheats very well, so it’s perfect for making ahead.
- You can reduce or add extra cheese to taste depending on what you have on hand.
This dish is really easy to put together, and it is packed with flavor. I made this in the afternoon when I had some down time and reheated it in the evening for dinner. It was so good! This would definitely make a great freezer meal, or a meal to deliver to a friend or loved one.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Originally Published October 18, 2013
Updated March 31st, 2020
Baked Tortellini - this quick and cheesy baked casserole is made with fresh tortellini and a quick homemade meat sauce.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of lean ground beef 97/3
- 1 Small onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes or whole peeled tomatoes crushed by hand
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 24 oz package of fresh cheese tortellini
- 3 cups of freshly grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, sautee onions in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and cook for addtional minute.
Add ground beef and brown.
Once beef is cooked through, stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with salt, pepper and italian seasoning.
- Stir in uncooked, fresh tortellini and 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to casserole dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
Cover tightly with foil and baked at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
The original recipe did not call for Italian Seasoning.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS