I’m so excited to share this new one-pot recipe with you! This One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Sausage Alfredo is one of our new favorite meals. It is so simple to make and absolutely packed with flavor. Tender chunks of chicken with smoky pieces of sausage in a rich and delicious homemade alfredo sauce. This meal serves a crowd but takes less than 30 minutes to make. You can divide this recipe in half to serve a smaller group too, just keep all the cooking times the same. I like the big batch though. The leftover where amazing.
If you love one-pot meals as much as I do, you can check out all of my one-pot recipes here.
Let’s get started! In a large pot, make sure you have a lid that fits:0), heat olive oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pot. Once chicken has started to brown, stir in smoked sausage and let brown as well. Then stir in fresh garlic, I like to save the garlic and add it in this step, so it doesn’t burn in the pan while the chicken and sausage are cooking.
Add chicken broth, heavy cream, uncooked pasta and cajun seasoning to pot and bring to a simmer. For the best consistency and results, make sure to use heavy cream versus whipping cream or light cream.
Once the pot is simmering, cover and turn heat to low. Let cook covered for 15-20 minutes, just until pasta is tender.
Remove pot from heat and stir in freshly grated parmesan cheese. I grate my parmesan using a microplane so it melts smoothly into the sauce. If you use store-bought shredded cheese, you may have to adjust and use less in the recipe. Pre shredded cheese has additives that keep the shreds from sticking together in the bag or container and those tend to over thicken the sauce or keep the cheese from melting smoothly.
Stir in freshly chopped flat leaf parsley and sprinkle with additional seasoning to taste.
You are going to love this rich and flavorful pasta! It’s one of our new favorites. For leftovers, reheat slowly over a low flame and add more chicken broth and cream as needed to keep sauce from separating.
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 14 oz smoked sausage, sliced on the diagonal
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 quart of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 pound of dried penne pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning plus more for topping
- 4 oz of freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
- Start with a large covered cooking pot.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and continue to cook until lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and cook for for about two minutes.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, dried pasta and cajun seasoning to pot.
- Stir together and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook covered for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Stir in chopped parsley and sprinkle with additional cajun seasoning to taste.
This recipe is adapted from my reader favorite One Pan Chicken Alfredo!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
See my one-pot recipe here:
More easy dinner recipes here: