Lemondoodles – Brown butter lemon snickerdoodles are a lemony version of the classic snickerdoodle cookie.
Lemondoodles are soft and tender on the inside, and crisp and chewy on the outside. The flavors are warm and rich, with a fresh pop of lemon. Brown butter snickerdoodle cookie dough rolled in lemon sugar and baked until soft and chewy.
How to Make Lemondoodles
- Start by browning 1 1/2 sticks of butter in a light colored skillet. This allows you to see the color of the butter as it is browning and ensure the milk solids don’t start to burn. Once butter is a light golden brown color, add remaining butter to pan. This will help it cool more quickly.
- Let browned butter cool while assembling other ingredients.
- Make lemon sugar by mashing together lemon zest from two lemons and granulated sugar. Set lemon sugar aside for rolling before baking.
- To make the cookie dough, start by combining sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment to release the oils in the lemon zest. This is separate from the lemon sugar listed above.
- Add remaining dry ingredients followed by wet ingredients.
- Roll cookie dough into ball, then roll in lemon sugar. Flatten cookies slightly before baking.
- Bake until edges are a light golden brown.
This recipe was originally published December 2012 and updated May 2020. I was inspired to make these cookies by the comments on this Snickerdoodle recipe from The Kitchn. I just loved the reader’s suggestion for Lemondoodles!
More Cookie Recipes
- Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
- 2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons)
- 1 cup white sugar
- Zest of two lemons
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Additional for coating cookie dough:
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- Zest of two lemons
- Mash zest and sugar together with a fork to create lemon sugar.
- Start by browning butter. Melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter in a skillet over medium heat, stir continually until butter starts to foam and is light golden brown. Immediately remove from heat and add remaining 1/2 stick of butter to pan and set aside to cool.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar and lemon zest and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Add brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix dry ingredients together on lowest speed just until combined.
- Add cooled butter, eggs, and vanilla and mix again just until combined.
Scoop out 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and form into a ball.
- Roll balls in lemon sugar mixture to coat and place on cookie sheet. Flatten the cookie dough balls slightly by using the back of a measuring cup.
Bake for about 9 minutes and let cool.
- They are best slightly underdone.
- When they come out of the oven, the middle should fall in just a little and the cookie should crackle as it settles.
I used salted butter in this recipe.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS