Loaded Oatmeal Cookies – old-fashioned oatmeal cookies loaded with chocolate chips and M&M’s. This recipe uses Crisco shortening instead of butter for an ultra crispy cookie.
Loaded Oatmeal Cookies
These Chocolate Chip and M&M’S Oatmeal Cookies have become one of my favorite recipes! They are so easy to make and absolutely delicious. These cookies are packed with mini chocolate chips, semi sweet chocolate chips, and topped with crunchy colorful M&M’S candies.
Oatmeal Cookies with Crisco
Thin and crispy, the secret to these delicious cookies is that they use shortening instead of butter just like grandma used to make. No waiting for butter to come to room temperature, you can start baking right away. I like keeping these baking sticks on hand for easy measuring.
Just look at the amazing texture of this cookie dough! Packed with oatmeal and chocolate chips!
- Rather than mixing the M&M’S in the cookie dough, I add them to the top of the cookie before baking. That way the color really pops and you get less of the color from the M&M’S running into the dough. Recently, I made them with Red, White, and Blue M&M’s and I did mix those into the cookie dough and found that I love both ways.
- For perfectly round cookies, use a large cup to gently spin the cookies in a circle.
- Use old-fashioned oats in this recipe, not quick cooking or Irish oats.
How to Make Oatmeal Cookies
- Start with a 350 degree oven.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, or using a hand mixer and a large bowl, combine shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Then add flour, baking soda and salt followed by oats.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- M&M’s can be added to top of cookie dough balls, or mixed in.
- Use a medium sized cookie scoop to measure dough.
- 1 cup Crisco vegetable shortening 1 stick
- 1 cup golden brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour spooned and leveled into measuring cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats not quick oats
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups M&M'S
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine shortening, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Blend until fluffy.
Add vanilla extract followed by eggs, continue mixing until well combined, scraping down sides as needed.
Add flour, salt and baking soda and mix just until combined.
add oatmeal and continue mixing just until combined.
Stir in mini chocolate chips and regular chocolate chips.
Scoop cookie dough using medium sized cookie scoop, about 1.5 tablespoons of cookie dough.
Top each cookie dough ball with 6-9 M&M'S and bake 8-9 minutes until edges are light golden brown.
Do not over bake, cookies will continue cooking as they cool.
The texture of these cookies is amazing! Slightly crisp on the edges, but soft in the middle. Top these with any color M&M’S for the holidays.
Check out that delicious melty chocolate!
Adapted from Family Circle
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS