Instant Pot Salmon Rice Bowl – flaky salmon and fluffy rice bowls topped with soy sauce, Kewpie Mayo, Sriracha, avocado, cucumber, and Furikake Seasoning. Like a homemade salmon roll in a bowl!
This post contains affiliate links.
Instant Pot Salmon Rice Bowl
Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner, the salmon and rice cook together in the Instant Pot. In September 2021, Emily Mariko posted a viral TikTok using leftover salmon to make salmon rice topped with soy sauce, Kewpie Mayo, Sriracha, avocado, and kimchi. After mixing everything together, she uses seaweed to scoop up the rice. The next time I had leftover salmon, I tried the salmon rice and absolutely loved it. My whole family loves the salmon rice, so we have been changing out toppings and trying different combinations. I have also been testing out a one pot version since it was in our regular meal rotation, and discovered that the Instant Pot was the perfect multi cooker. This recipe is great because you don’t have to wait for leftovers for a tasty salmon bowl. The salmon rice bowls are super filling so you can serve 4 with this recipe, or save it for weekly meal prep.
Salmon Rice Bowl Ingredients
- Salmon Portions – Look for portions that are taller and thicker, instead of wide and thin, so they cook evenly with the rice.
- Salmon Marinade – Olive Oil, Toasted Sesame Oil, Low-Sodium Soy Sauce, Garlic
- Short Grain Sushi Rice – I have been using Lundberg Family Farms Organic Sushi Rice. This is the brand my grocery store consistently has in stock.
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce – Low sodium makes it easier to add flavor versus just adding more salt.
- Kewpie Mayo – a Japanese mayo that is extra rich because it’s made with egg yolks versus American mayo that is made with whole eggs. This will become a new kitchen staple.
- Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce – the popular hot sauce is perfect for adding a kick to your salmon bowl.
- Furikake Rice Seasoning– a dry Japanese seasoning adds texture and flavor
- Avocado – creamy, ripe avocado makes the bowl extra satifying
- Mini Cucumber – adds the perfect fresh crunch
- Green Onions – substitute chives, any fresh herbs, or leave them off
How to Make a Salmon Rice Bowl
- Start by making a quick but powerful marinade for the salmon.
- Cook rice and salmon together on low pressure in Instant Pot.
- Flake salmon and fluff rice together.
- Divide into bowls and add toppings.
Where to Find Kewpie Mayo and Furikake Rice Seasoning
- Your usual grocery store might carry both items, mine does not carry either.
- Local Asian Grocery Store
- Cost Plus World Market – I have one close to my house and I have found both in their Asian grocery section.
- Kewpie Mayo – from Target online
- Furikake Rice Seasoning – Online with Prime Shipping from Amazon
More Instant Pot Recipes
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 8 oz salmon 2 4 oz salmon portions
- 2 cups short grain sushi rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- Kewpie Mayonnaise
- Sriracha Chili Sauce
- Furikake Seasoning
- Mini Cucumber Diced
- Avocado Sliced
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Green Onion Diced
In a small bowl or a quart sized baggie, whisk together olive oil, sesame oil, garlic and soy sauce. Add salmon portions and set aside for a quick marinade. Meanwhile, rinse 2 cups of rice until water is mostly clear. Drain in colander shaking out excess water.
Spray Instant Pot insert with non stick cooking spray. Add rice and 1 3/4 cups of water to Instant Pot. Remove salmon from marinade and pat dry. Lightly season with kosher salt and black pepper.
Lay salmon portions on top of uncooked rice. Lock Instant Pot lid in place and cook on low pressure for 12 minutes. Use Quick Release to release pressure and turn off keep warm setting. This will help prevent rice from sticking/burning.
Remove lid and flake salmon and fluff rice until combined. Spoon salmon rice mixture into bowl and top with soy sauce, Kewpie Mayo, Sriracha Chili Sauce, Furikake Seasoning, Toasted Sesame Seeds, Cucumbers, and Avocado.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS