Instant Pot Mexican Rice – the most flavorful and fool-proof Mexican rice recipe. The perfect side dish for all your Mexican recipes.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
I adapted my favorite Mexican Rice Recipe to the Instant Pot and I don’t know if I will ever go back to stovetop. This recipe is perfect in the Instant Pot and I find the rice to be even more flavorful with the perfect chewy texture.
Here in the Central Valley of California, Mexican Rice is an extremely popular side dish, served at restaurants, family potlucks, and with most home cooked Mexican dishes. Every family has their own version of Mexican Rice. I’ve based mine off my Mother-in-Law’s and made changes to it over time. Neither the authentic Mexican restaurants here in town or my MIL add peas and carrots to Mexican rice, so that is how we make ours as well.
How to Make Mexican Rice in the Instant Pot
- Start by sautéing Extra Long Grain Rice in hot oil until lightly browned.
- Stir in low-sodium chicken broth, tomato sauce, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
- Lock lid into place and cook on Low Pressure for 12 minutes. My “Rice” button was preset to this cooking time and pressure.
- Release pressure with a Quick Pressure Release and fluff with fork.
- Remember to turn warm function to off so the rice doesn’t continue cooking and stick to the bottom.
More Mexican Recipes
- Instant Pot Barbacoa
- Skillet Enchiladas
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans
- Do not rinse the rice before cooking.
- Use extra long grain white rice for this recipe. Other types of rice need adjustments to cooking time and liquid.
- Don’t let rice sit on warm setting. The starch will start to stick to the pot and make it harder to clean.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram at @no2pencilblog
Perfectly cooked authentic Mexican rice in the Instant Pot.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups extra long grain rice, Mahatma recommended
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt. Reduce by half if using table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh limes optional
- fresh cilantro optional
Using the Saute function, heat Instant Pot to high. Add oil, followed by rice and stir until rice starts to toast.
Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
Add Instant Pot lid and make sure Pressure Release Valve is set to sealing. Cook for 12 minutes on low pressure. Use a Quick Pressure Release once cooking is completed and use a fork to fluff rice.
Optional: serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS