Crispy Baked Tostada Shells – perfectly flat homemade tostada shells without frying.
Baked Tostada Shells
Crispy and golden brown, this is the easiest, hands-off method to make homemade tostada shells. Use cooking spray to get a thin even layer of oil on both sides of the tortillas, then stack two baking sheets with the tortillas in between. This keeps the tostada shells flat and toasts both sides of the tortilla at once. Finally, use a high heat to get the tostada shells golden brown and crunchy without frying. Can be made ahead and make great leftovers! Perfect for making Shrimp Tostadas!
Tostada Shell Ingredients
- Corn Tortillas – white or yellow, about 6 inches. I usually use Mission Corn Tortillas, but any brand and size will work. Adjust cooking time for smaller or thinner corn tortillas.
- Cooking Spray – Avocado Oil spray, Olive Oil spray, or even just Pam cooking spray work well.
- Salt – a sprinkle of kosher salt or fine sea salt for flavor.
How to Make Tostada Shells
- Start by preheating oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray both sides of 8 corn tortillas with cooking spray.
- Arrange tortillas on baking sheet as pictured. Some overlap is fine.
- Stack another baking sheet on top to keep the tortillas flat while baking.
- Bake tostada shells for about 15 minutes until golden brown. You want an overall golden color with a little browning, this is what will make the tostada shells crispy.
- To double the recipe, use another set of baking sheets and rotate halfway through cooking time.
Crispy oven baked tostada shells that are perfectly flat.
- 8 corn tortillas
- avocado oil cooking spray any kind of cooking spray
- kosher salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking sheet lightly with avocado oil, as well as both sides of tortillas.
Arrange tortillas on baking sheet and stack second baking sheet on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until tortillas are crispy and have started to brown. Sprinkle lightly with salt as soon as they come out of the oven.
To double the recipe, use two more baking sheets and rotate baking sheets halfway through cooking time.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS