My Grandma Wanda was the queen of Christmas candy. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of her kitchen counter filled with all kinds of homemade Christmas candies packed in a a variety of Christmas tins. From toffee to divinity, she even had an amazing hard cinnamon candy and I haven’t seen a recipe similar to it anywhere else. My aunt was kind enough to send me pictures of some of her handwritten recipes so I can share them with my kids and with my friends here on the blog. Grandma Wanda’s peanut brittle is very easy to make and perfect for homemade Christmas gifting.
For this recipe, you’ll need a candy thermometer (I like the kind that clip to the side of the pot), a large heavy bottomed pot and a buttered sheet pan.
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of light corn syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 stick of unsalted butter 8 tablespoons, cubed
- 3 cups of dry roasted peanuts one pound
- Prepare an 18x13 baking sheet by greasing with butter and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix baking soda, salt and vanilla extract and set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, combine sugar, corn syrup and water.
- With a heat proof spoon or spatula, stir mixture constantly over very high heat until it reaches 240 degrees on candy thermometer.
- Add peanuts and continue stirring until mixture reaches 320 degrees on candy thermometer.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in butter until melted.
- Stir in baking soda mixture. It will be foamy, stir until combined.
- Pour mixture onto baking sheet and let set until hard.
- Break into pieces.
Notes from Grandma Wanda - Must be stirred constantly and use a wooden spoon and a candy thermometer.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS