Herb-Crusted Prime Rib Roast Recipe – made with garlic, crunchy panko breadcrumbs, and fresh herbs this tender prime rib roast is easy to make and perfect for the holidays.
Herb-Crusted Prime Rib Roast
I have been making this prime rib recipe for the holidays for almost 13 years. I remember the first time I made it for Christmas, my teenager was sitting at the Christmas dinner table in his highchair! I was so nervous to be cooking a big expensive cut off beef, but it turned out perfectly and it is a recipe I have continued to return to over the years.
How to Cook a Prime Rib Roast
- Start with a high quality roast. A three bone roast can be between 5-7 pounds depending on which end it is cut.
- Let roast sit at room temperature for at least an hour before cooking to promote even cooking.
- During the holidays most grocery stores will have a prime rib roast available. If you don’t see one, as the meat counter if they have one they can cut. Costco also carries high quality roasts during the holidays. Expect to pay somewhere around $80-$100 for a good quality prime rib roast.
- Cook fat side up so it can melt into the beef.
- Use plenty of kosher salt so that you can flavor the entire cut of meat. The general rule of thumb is 3/4 a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of kosher salt for each pound of beef.
This 6.5 pound roast took about 2.5 hours to cook at 325 degrees, but the key is internal temperature not time. That is why the most important ingredient in this recipe is actually a meat thermometer! This digital thermometer is less than $20 and you can set the alarm to alert you when the desired temperature has been reached.
For medium rare, cook to 120 degrees, then remove and roast will continue carry over cooking until it reaches 130 degrees for medium-rare. For medium, remove from oven at 130 degrees. For medium-well remove from oven at 140 degrees.
This Herb Crusted Prime Rib Roast is perfect for the holidays!
- 6.5 pound prime rib roast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons course ground mustard
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and rosemary. Sprinkle all over prime rib. Place roast fat side up on the rack of a roasting pan.
While roast is cooking, prepare breadcrumb mixture. Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, panko breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic and olive oil. After one hour remove roast from oven. Spread mustard all over top of roast, then sprinkle and press breadcrumb mixture all over mustard. Roast for another hour, our until meat thermometer reached 120 degrees for medium rare. Let stand 30 minutes before slicing.
What to Serve With Prime Rib
- Corn Casserole
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes
- Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS