Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole – Traditional Green Bean Casserole made with fresh green beans is a snap to make in the slow cooker.
Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole is a holiday staple, and I really wanted to convert the traditional green bean casserole to a crock pot recipe. When I was testing this recipe, I went back and forth on wether the green beans would actually get tender in just the slow cooker alone. But I’m happy to report that it worked perfectly! No blanching required, and uses fresh green beans.
How to Make Green Bean Casserole in the Slow Cooker
- Start with 2 pounds of fresh trimmed green beans and cut them into 1 inch pieces. I cut my green beans into thirds.
- Spray a 4.5 quart Crock Pot with non stick cooking spray.
- In the slow cooker, stir together cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, garlic powder, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add green beans and bacon, if using, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, stirring once half way through cooking time to promote even cooking.
- Stir in half of fried onions and top with remaining onions before serving to keep them crispy.
This recipe is definitely going in my regular Thanksgiving meal preparation. We like to roast our turkey in the oven, so I’m always looking for alternative ways to cook our favorite side dishes. Though I haven’t had a chance to test it out yet, I’m certain this recipe can be prepped the day before and cooked on the big day.
I also listed the bacon as optional. It does give the dish extra flavor, which is always welcome, but it also creates an extra step of cooking the bacon. If you skip the bacon, you have a truly dump and cook recipe.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Garlic Herb Butter Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- Crock Pot Ham with Maple Brown Sugar Glaze
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Sausage Apple Cranberry Stuffing
- Pumpkin Pie
- Easy Pecan Pie Recipe
- Pumpkin Cheese Ball
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Old-Fashioned Corn Casserole
Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole - Traditional Green Bean Casserole is a snap to make in a slow cooker.
- 1/2 pound bacon diced and cooked, optional
- 2 pounds fresh green beans trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 oz fried onions
Spray a 4.5 quart Crock-Pot with non stick cooking spray.
Add cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper to slow cooker and whisk until combined.
Stir in green beans and and bacon. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, stirring once halfway through to promote even cooking. Stir in half of fried onions and top with remaining onion when ready to serve.
To keep the onion topping crispy, do not cover with slow cooker lid once the onions are placed on top of the casserole.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
This is so amazing! How can you go wrong with bacon and green beans? All done in the crockpot, yes please! 🙂
My favorite is the crunchy fried onions on top! Bacon & green beans are the perfect pair!
Katerina @ diethood .com
mmmm..this looks incredibly delicious!! My family would love it!
Love that this frees up valuable stovetop or oven space especially when cooking during the holidays. It’s our fav dish!