Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – creamy, cheesy and perfectly cooked every time! This Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese is out of this world!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
This Instant Pot Maci and Cheese has become one of our favorite recipes and is going onto our Thanksgiving menu this year! Kids and adults love this creamy macaroni and cheese, and the Instant Pot makes it a complete snap to make. If you are just getting started with your Instant Pot, or are thinking of adding one of these handy electric pressure cookers to your kitchen, this is the perfect recipe to get started with! It’s easy to make, and it turns out perfectly every time.
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Start by adding the uncooked pasta to the Instant Pot insert along with water, butter, salt, dijon mustard and a couple dashes of hot sauce. I promise, your kids will not notice the mustard or the hot sauce. They just enhance the flavor of the cheese.
- Once the pasta has cooked in the pressure cooker, stir in evaporated milk and shredded cheese.
- I like to use a blend of sharp cheddar and mozzarella. Mozzarella melts so smoothly and extra sharp cheddar really gives it that super cheesy flavor! Feel free to use any cheese you have on hand, I’ve made it with all sharp cheddar cheese as well and it is so good! I also like to alternate between shells and macaroni shaped pasta.
Seriously creamy and delicious, and so simple to make!!! I took this to a Halloween party and it was a huge hit, the bowl was literally scraped clean!
We have been making this recipe regularly for 3 years now and I discovered that it is actually better with store-bought shredded cheese! The preshredded cheese makes it even thicker and richer and save so much time.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese - creamy, cheesy and perfectly cooked every time! This Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese is out of this world!
- 1 pound dried macaroni
- 4 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 2 dashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 12 oz can of evaporated milk or 1.5 cups whole milk
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 oz mozzarella shredded
In the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot, combine dried pasta, water, butter, mustard, salt and hot sauce.
Lock Instant Pot lid in place and close vent.
Use manual mode to set Instant Pot to High Pressure for 4 minutes.
Instant Pot will take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure, then it will count down from 4 minutes.
Once Instant Pot finishes 4 minute countdown, immediately turn pressure release valve to venting (Quick Release) and turn Instant Pot completely off. The keep warm mode should not be on to prevent overcooking the pasta.
Once Instant Pot has released all the pressure, turn lid to open, keeping lid angled away from you to prevent steam burns.
Stir in evaporated milk, followed by shredded cheese by the handful.
Continue stirring until cheese in completely melted.
Serve immediately, or switch warm setting back on to keep warm.
This recipe works best with store-bought shredded cheese. I've tested this recipe with both evaporated milk and whole milk and both work great! Evaporated milk has a richer flavor, but you can add extra cheese to thicken and enrich when using fresh milk.
If you like this recipe, you may also like some of my recent favorites:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS