Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes – creamy, buttery mashed potatoes that can be made up to three days ahead and heated before serving to save time.
Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
These Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes have become a holiday staple at my house. You can prepare them up to three days ahead of time, refrigerate them, then bake them on the day of. It’s a great time saver, and these mashed potatoes are absolutely incredible. Creamy and buttery, with a slightly crunchy golden crust on top. These make-ahead mashed potatoes are truly heavenly.
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Ingredients
- Russet Potatoes – I recommend buying the biggest potatoes you can find to avoiding spending too much time peeling. It’s a lot easier to peel just 5 one pound potatoes! I will usually buy them individually at the grocery store vs buying a big bag plus you can get ones free from spots or sprouts.
- Butter – I recommend using salted butter for savory dishes.
- Kosher Salt – if using table salt decrease amount by half.
- White Pepper – white pepper has a different, more mild flavor than black pepper and is a classic with mashed potatoes. Bonus: Little kids won’t see any black flecks. 😄
- Cream Cheese – this is the secret ingredient that makes them so good as a make-ahead recipe!
- Half and Half – stir in a little at time and adjust as needed.
How to Make Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Prepare mashed potatoes in recipe, then store tightly covered with foil up to three days ahead. I usually make these on Tuesday to serve on Thanksgiving Thursday.
- Potatoes will be chilled through, so remove them several hours before heating so they can come to room temperature.
- Heat covered for traditional mashed potatoes, or leave uncovered for a golden brown top.
- The secret to really great mashed potatoes is to drain them really well, so if you are doubling this recipe, make sure you drain the potatoes in two batches. Ten pounds of potatoes don’t drain as well when dumped into a colander all at once.
- Use a hand masher for textured potatoes, a potato ricer for completely smooth mashed potatoes and a hand mixer for a combination of the two. If using a hand mixer, be careful not to overmix or they can become gummy.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes Ahead of Time and Reheat in the Oven
- Prepare this recipe up to three days ahead.
- Let cool, then add pats of butter to top. Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Before heating, remove potatoes from fridge for 1-2 hours so they come to room temperature.
- Cook as directed in recipe card.
- This is the best method for fresh and delicious mashed potatoes.
- Note: If you leave the potatoes uncovered in the oven, they get a beautiful golden brown crust on top!
- Garlic Herb Butter Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- Sausage Apple Cranberry Stuffing
- Pumpkin Pie
- Easy Pecan Pie Recipe
- Pumpkin Cheese Ball
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Corn Casserole
Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes - fluffy, buttery mashed potatoes that can be made up to three days ahead and heated before serving to save time.
- 5 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 12 tablespoons butter 1 1/2 sticks
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup of half and half heated
Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with water.
Bring potatoes to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Once potatoes are tender, drain really well in a colander.
Return potatoes to pot.
Cube one stick of butter and add to hot potatoes.
Sprinkle in salt and pepper and begin mashing using a hand masher.
Mash until smooth.
Add softened cream cheese and mash until combined.
Stir in hot half and half.
Transfer potatoes to a baking dish.
Slice remaining butter into six slices and lay on top of mashed potatoes.
Cover and bake potatoes at 350 for 35-45 minutes until heated through. For a golden brown top, leave potatoes uncovered.
Sprinkle with finely diced chives.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS