This Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich Recipe is sure to become a family favorite. Tender fall-apart chuck roast with a flavor-packed juice for dipping, in a fraction of the usual cooking time. This French Dip Sandwich recipe is topped with melty cheese and served on a buttery garlic roll.
A few months ago, I noticed a few of my Facebook friends talking about how much they loved their Instant Pot. So when I spotted it on sale on Amazon Prime Day, I grabbed one and I am so happy I did! A pressure cooker has been on my list of must-try kitchen tools for a long time and the Instant Pot does not disappoint.
This Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich recipe is just one of our family favorite recipes that I have loved converting over to the Instant Pot. I have made this french dip sandwich recipe so many times in the slow cooker, but they need at least 8 hours on low plus searing time. Sometimes the mornings are just too busy to prep for the slow cooker. If you have the same problem, welcome to the Instant Pot! It’s truly a one-pot wonder. It’s a pressure cooker, which means you can have a fall apart tender pot roast in a fraction of the time of an oven or a slow cooker. The Instant Pot also functions as a slow cooker, a steamer, a yogurt maker and a rice cooker. One of my favorite features in the sauté function, which allows me to sear my roast right in the Instant Pot. It’s an incredibly handy appliance to add to your kitchen and it’s developed a loyal following, just read the Amazon reviews!
If you are new to the Instant Pot, or just looking for an easy and delicious recipe you can make in the Instant Pot, this French Dip Sandwich recipe is going to become a favorite! Tender chunks of beef roast with melty provolone cheese piled high on a toasted garlic bread roll.
The best part is, these sandwiches taste like they took all day to cook, but only take about two hours in the Instant Pot and just a few minutes of hands-on cooking time. Yes, that’s right, a fork-tender roast in just a fraction of the time of a slow cooker.
How to Make an Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
Start with a 2.5 pound chuck roast. For best results, let the meat rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before searing to let the chill come off. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder on all sides. Add one tablespoon of vegetable oil to the Instant Pot and hit the sauté button. The pot will be hot enough to sear the meat in a few minutes. Using a pair on long heat-proof kitchen tongs, sear the roast on all sides.
Remove seared roast from the Instant Pot and set aside to be added back in in a few minutes. Add onions to the pot and sauté, just until they start to soften.
Add 1/2 cup of red wine to the pot and let it simmer until reduced by half. The pot is very hot, so reduction won’t take long. Enjoy the wonderful smell of the wine and onions simmering away! Use a wooden spoon to scrape up seared bits from the bottom of the pot as it simmers.
Once wine has reduced, add in low-sodium beef broth and bay leaf .
Return the chuck roast to the Instant Pot, lock the lid in place and make sure the pressure release valve is set to Sealing.
Hit Meat/Stew function and increase cooking time to 100 minutes. Now step away from the Instant Pot and let it work it’s magic. It will take a few minutes to come up to pressure, then you will see the display switch to the 100 minute countdown. Once the countdown is complete, the Instant Pot will automatically switch over to the Keep Warm/Cancel function. Do not attempt to open the Instant Pot at this point. The pressure is still built up inside the pot. Let the pressure naturally release for 25 minutes. This also allows the meat to rest in the Instant Pot.
Before opening the Instant Pot, turn the pressure release valve to venting to release any left over pressure, then remove the lid keeping it angled away from you.
Here you have it, a lovely fork tender roast, ready to be made into French Dips. Remove the roast from the Instant Pot and strain au jus through a fine mesh strainer. Reserve au jus for dipping.
For an extra layer of flavor, we are going to brush and toast the rolls with butter and garlic powder. French Dips served on garlic bread? Yes, please!
Pile the meat on the garlic bread rolls. As you can see, it’s incredibly tender!
Then top with provolone cheese slices and let melt under broiler.
Sprinkle the sandwich with freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish and serve with hot au jus for dipping. Heaven!
Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich Recipe
- 2.5 pound chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1 14 oz can of low-sodium beef broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 soft rolls
- 3 tablespoons of butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- For best results, let chuck roast rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before searing.
- Add vegetable oil to the Instant Pot and hit the sauté button.
- Season chuck roast with 2 teaspoon of kosher salt, freshly ground pepper to taste and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder on all side.
- Using a pair on long heat-proof kitchen tongs, sear roast on all sides in Instant Pot.
- Remove seared roast from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add onions to pot and sauté just until they start to soften.
- Add red wine to pot and let simmer until reduced by half.
- Use a wooden spoon to scrape up seared bits from the bottom of the pot as it simmers.
- Once wine has reduced, add low-sodium beef broth and bay leaf.
- Return roast to Instant Pot, close lid and make pressure release valve is set to sealing.
- Hit Meat/Stew function and increase time to 100 minutes.
- Let Instant Pot natural release for 25 minutes, then turn valve to venting to release any excess pressure.
- Remove lid and transfer roast to a serving plate and shred.
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer and serve warm for dipping sandwiches.
- Set oven to broil and place sandwich rolls on a baking sheet.
- Combine melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and pinch of kosher salt in a small bowl.
- Brush over rolls and toast 2-3 minutes, just until gold brown.
- Pile meat onto rolls and top with cheese. Return to broiler and heat just until cheese has started to melt.
- Top sandwiches with freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley and serve with warm au jus for dipping.
The Instant Pot is really a must-have kitchen tool! I’m excited to share more recipes soon!
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.
For even more dinner ideas, check out these easy dinner recipes!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
If you like this recipe, you may also like some of my recent favorites:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS