Brownie in a Mug – a rich and fudgy homemade microwave brownie loaded with real chocolate flavor and melty chocolate chips.
Brownie in a Mug
I’m really excited to share this recipe for a homemade microwave brownie in a mug. I’ve used simple ingredients to create a real homemade brownie in a mug. Mug brownies are the best kind of brownies, because you don’t need to share! This recipe has been on my blog since 2013, and the most common reviews are that it’s the only microwave brownie recipe that actually works! Please let me know what you think by leaving a star rating and comment at the bottom of the post.
Microwave Brownie Ingredients
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- egg yolk
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- semi sweet chocolate chips
How to Make a Brownie in a Mug
- Use a microwave safe mug.
- Start by melting the butter by heating it in the microwave.
- Do not substitute spreads for real butter.
- Add sugars, vanilla extract, and salt and stir.
- Separate egg, discard egg white or save for another recipe.
- Stir in egg yolk.
- Add cocoa powder and flour and stir until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Cooking time will vary according to your microwave. Start at 45 seconds and add more time if needed. Do not overcook.
Microwave Brownie Recipe Tips
- This recipe is based off my popular recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Cup, and I have been working hard to develop this delicious, decadent, single-serving treat.
- These treats are easy to make, and a reader favorite. Perfect for a late-night or after-school snack.
- Since this single serving brownie is made in the microwave, it’s great for kiddos just learning to cook, or those who don’t have access to an oven.
- This brownie in a mug is absolutely amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
- Just a note, make sure to follow the steps I have outlined in the recipe, and don’t substitute spreads for butter.
If you make this, I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram at @no2pencilblog
Brownie in a Mug - a rich and fudgy homemade microwave brownie loaded with real chocolate flavor and melty chocolate chips.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder reccomened Hershey's
- 2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips
Melt butter in microwave safe mug or ramekin.
Butter should be melted, not boiling.
Stir together butter, sugars, vanilla and salt.
Stir in egg yolk. Do not use egg white! Save for a different recipe or discard.
Add flour and cocoa powder and stir again until well combined.
Finally, add chocolate chips.
Cook for about 45 seconds in microwave. Do not over cook. Microwave times may vary.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS