I’m so excited to share a new one-pan recipe with you guys. Dinner recipes are some of my most popular posts, and I think it’s because new ideas for dinner are always welcome. New one-pot dinners are especially welcome because they are so easy. Today, I’m sharing this easy One-Pan Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli with Rice. It’s made with everyday ingredients, so you might just have them on hand already. To bump up the flavor in this dish, I used extra-sharp cheddar cheese, and it’s delicious combined with the broccoli! If you are looking for more one-pot dinners, all my one-pot recipes can be found here.
In this dish, I used the same technique for cooking the rice as my one-pan chicken burrito bowls. Once the chicken has browned, push it over to one side and sauté the rice in a little additional olive oil, all in the same pan. Sautéing the uncooked rice keeps the dish from being overly starchy, basically creating a rice pilaf. Once the rice starts to pick up a little color, add the chicken broth and cook the rice about half way.
Next, stir in the broccoli florets and continue cooking. Adding the broccoli midway through cooking keeps it from getting overly soft. I like a bit of bite in my broccoli, and to see a pretty bright green color.
Add more or less cheese to taste. In this recipe I used about 1 1/2 cups, stirring in 1/2 a cup directly into the rice once cooked, and sprinkling the top with the remaining cheese.
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked extra long grain white rice
- 1 large bunch of fresh broccoli
- 2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Start by sautéing onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Once onions have started to soften, increase heat to medium high and add chicken breast to pan.
- Brown chicken breast pieces, then add minced garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Push chicken to one side of the pan and add additional tablespoon of olive oil to other side.
- Saute uncooked rice in olive oil until rice starts to take on a golden color, 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to pan, bring to a boil and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for about 12 minutes.
- While chicken and rice is cooking, remove florets from broccoli, cutting into bite sized pieces. .
- Stir in broccoli and continue cooking covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, place cover back on the pan and let cheese melt 2-3 minutes.
Find even more easy dinner ideas here!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS