This post is brought to you in partnership with Jennie-O.
This Cajun Style One Pot Sausage and Orzo is packed with flavor, absolutely delicious and is ready in less than twenty minutes! Smoked turkey sausage, onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, zucchini and cajun seasoning come together for a quick meal bursting with veggies. For this recipe, I used Jennie-O Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage for the protein, and it adds so much flavor. Since smoked sausage is already cooked, it just needs to be heated through which cuts way down on cooking time!
One pot meals are some of my favorite dinners to make! I especially love when they include the protein and veggie all in one recipe.
This summer, I have really been into adding shredded zucchini to my orzo dishes. I shred it on a box grater and stir it in just at the end to heat through. The texture blends so well with the orzo and it adds a delicious boost of veggies to the meal. The key is not to over cook the zucchini! Once it starts to cook down, it will start getting soggy and have a stronger vegetable taste.
- 16 oz Jennie-O Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flake
- 1 14.5 oz can of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz of uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- flat leaf parsley for garnish
- In a large sauté pan, sauté onions, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil.
- Add sliced Jennie-O Smoked Turkey Sausage and season with cajun seasoning, half of a teaspoon of kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste and crushed red pepper flake.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and orzo and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium low and cover, cooking about eight minutes, just until orzo is tender.
- Stir in shredded zucchini.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cajun seasoning and freshly chop flat leaf italian parsley.
The flavors in this one pot meal are really great! I used the Jennie-O Smoked Turkey Sausage which I love, and I think you could easily add shrimp to the dish, or double the sausage for even more protein.
I’ve partnered with Jennie-O to create this sponsored post and recipe. All opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
You may also like:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS