I’m so excited to share this One-Pot Portobello Mushroom Chicken Alfredo. Meaty baby portobello mushrooms and tender chunks of chicken simmered in a rich homemade alfredo sauce. Everything cooks in the same pot, even the pasta. This is a one-pot meal that is so quick it can be whipped up on a busy week night, but so special that it can be served to company at a dinner party.
I adapted this recipe from my popular one-pan chicken alfredo. It’s one of our family’s favorite recipes and this variation might be even better. I used baby portobello mushrooms, also known as cremini mushrooms or baby bellas. White mushrooms or full-sized portobellos will work in this recipe too. If you are looking for more one-pot dinners, all my one-pot recipes can be found here.
Start by browning chicken in a large sauté pan. Use a medium high heat to put some color on the chicken. This step will only take a few minutes as the chicken doesn’t need to be cooked through at this point, just browned.
Remove chicken from the pan, add two tablespoon of butter and sauté mushrooms.
Season mushrooms with salt and pepper and add minced garlic to the pan. Cook another minute or two, just until garlic has started to soften. At this point, I could not resist stealing a few mushrooms from the pan. Sautéed mushrooms are pretty hard to resist.
Pour in chicken broth and use to deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits from the pan. Since you are using a pretty hot pan to cook the mushroom, the broth should start simmering immediately. Add browned chicken, heavy cream and uncooked pasta to the pan. Once the entire mixture is simmering, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 15-18 minutes, just until pasta is tender.
Remove pan from heat and stir in freshly shredded parmesan cheese and top with parsley.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound of baby portobello cremini mushrooms, cut in half
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 3/4 cup of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 8 oz of uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups 4 oz of freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of fresh flat leaf parsley minced
- Season chicken breasts with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, brown chicken pieces in olive oil.
- Once browned, remove from pan and set aside. Chicken just needs to be browned, not cooked through as it will continue cooking later.
- Add butter to pan and sauté mushroom until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season mushroom with additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add minced garlic to pan and sauté for additional 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer; use chicken broth to deglaze the pan by scraping up the flavorful brown bits.
- Stir in, browned chicken, heavy cream and uncooked pasta.
- Once the entire mixture is simmering, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook covered for 15-18 minutes, just until pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and top with fresh parsley.
- Alfredo sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
Find even more easy dinner ideas here!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS