Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs – juicy seasoned chicken thighs with a quick and delicious homemade barbecue sauce.
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe
Get ready for juicy and delicious barbecue chicken thighs straight from the oven! Well seasoned bone-in skin-on chicken thighs are baked in the oven and then brushed with a delicious homemade BBQ sauce that only takes a few minutes to make. The result is a delicious BBQ chicken that will totally satisfy your BBQ craving! These are always a huge hit with my family and the leftovers are so delicious!
Ingredients for BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
For the Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Thighs – Bone-in Skin On Chicken Thighs are so affordable and super satisfying for a meal. These are a great way to stretch the dinner budget.
- Seasonings – Kosher Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Smoked Paprika
- Brown Sugar
For the BBQ Sauce
- Ketchup: The base of many BBQ sauces, providing sweetness, tang, and tomato flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: A savory and complex sauce adding umami depth with notes of soy sauce, vinegar, tamarind, and spices.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Adds tang and acidity, balancing the sweetness and richness of other ingredients. White vinegar can be substituted, but it will have a sharper flavor.
- Yellow Mustard: Provides tang and a touch of heat. Brown mustard or Dijon mustard can be used for a stronger mustard flavor.
- Onion Powder: Concentrated onion flavor without the texture of chopped onions.
- Liquid Smoke: Hickory is a classic smoky BBQ flavor, but other varieties like mesquite or applewood can be used for different taste profiles.
- Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness and depth of flavor, with a hint of molasses notes.
- Kosher Salt: Balances the sweetness and acidity, and enhances other flavors.
How to Make Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs in the Oven
- Preheat oven and prepare chicken: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and adjust the oven rack to the upper third. In a large bowl, toss the chicken thighs with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and brown sugar until evenly coated.
- Bake the chicken: Place a large baking rack on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil (for easier cleanup). Arrange the chicken thighs on the rack, skin-side up. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 175°F (80°C) on an instant-read thermometer.
- Make the BBQ sauce: While the chicken is baking, whisk together all the BBQ sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and let simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Broil and glaze the chicken: Remove the chicken from the oven and brush generously with BBQ sauce on both sides. Broil on high for 3-4 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning, until the sauce is caramelized and bubbly.
- Serve: Serve the chicken thighs immediately with additional BBQ sauce on the side, if desired.
- Chicken thigh sizes will vary and cooking time should be adjusted as needed.
- The sweetness and heat of the sauce can be adjusted. Use less brown sugar for a less sweet sauce, and add chili flakes or hot sauce for more heat. Cayenne pepper can be added for additional flavor complexity.
- The consistency of the BBQ sauce can be adjusted by simmering it for a longer time to thicken it or adding a bit of water to thin it out.
- You can use bone-in, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer. Just adjust the baking time accordingly, as they will cook more quickly.
- If you don’t have a baking rack, you can simply place the chicken thighs directly on the foil-lined sheet pan.
- Feel free to use your favorite store-bought BBQ sauce instead of making your own. Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce is a favorite of mine!
What to Serve with Barbecue Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Butter Bath Corn on the Cob
- Potato Salad
- Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in skin on chicken thighs about 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Adjust oven rack to upper third of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken thighs with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and brown sugar and toss to combine.
Place a large baking rack on a sheet pan. Line sheet pan with foil for easier clean up, if preferred. Place chicken thighs, skin side up on baking rack and place in oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, depending in size of chicken thighs, or until internal temperature reaches 175 degrees. While chicken thighs are baking prepare BBQ sauce.
Once chicken thighs reach 175, remove from oven and brush generously with BBQ sauce on both sides. Turn oven to broil and let sauce caramelize slight just for 3-4 minutes. Watch the chicken carefully to make sure the sauce doesn't burn. BBQ Chicken Thighs are ready to serve! Serve any additional BBQ sauce on the side.
In a small saucepan, stir together all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and let simmer, gently stirring occasionally while chicken is cooking.
More Chicken Recipes
- Skillet Chicken Thighs with Broccoli Cheddar Orzo
- Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma
- One Pan Chicken Burrito Bowls
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS