Sheet Pan Strawberry Shortcake Recipe – buttery homemade shortcake with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. It’s the ultimate summer dessert for a crowd!
Sheet Pan Strawberry Shortcake
If you need an easy show stopping dessert loaded with summer flavor, this is a must make! A homemade buttery shortcake baked from scratch on a standard sized half sheet pan. Then topped with freshly whipped cream and juicy sliced strawberries. I’ve also included directions for a flag version which would would be so fun for 4th of July! Scroll past the recipe card for 4th of July Strawberry Shortcake Instructions.
Sheet Pan Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients
- Baking Powder
- Salt – use table salt, if using Kosher salt increase amount used.
- Butter unsalted, if using salted butter slightly decrease amount of salt in the recipe.
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Extract
Whipped Cream Topping
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Fresh Strawberries – this would be a beautiful dessert with any berry, mixed and alone. Try blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries.
- Fresh Lemon Juice
How to Make Sheet Pan Strawberry Shortcake
- Use a 18×13 non stick baking sheet or jelly roll pan. If you don’t have a non stick sheet pan, line a standard sheet pan with parchment paper.
- To make the shortcake, you will need to cut cold butter into the dry ingredients. You can use a food processor, a pastry blender, two butter knives, or even a fork. Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until mixture texture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in lightly beaten eggs, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Transfer dough to sheet pan and use slightly damp hands to pat dough into place. Use a large spoon or spatula to spread the dough evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven set to 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- While shortcake is cooling, prepare strawberries and whipped cream.
- Whip the cream and then prepare the strawberries.
- Use chamomile flowers, which are edible, to decorate top of strawberry shortcake. I love that they look similar to strawberry flowers.
- Cooking time for the shortcake can vary depending on the sheet pan. A dark heavy sheet pan will brown the shortcake quicker on the bottom than a bright silver shiny sheet pan will.
- Use a non stick sheet pan. If you don’t have a non stick sheet pan, line the sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Use a plastic or silicone spatula to cut the shortcake to avoid scratching the pan.
- Prepare the whipped cream and the strawberries right before assembly. This will keep the strawberries and whipped cream from breaking down. Preparing the strawberries ahead will make them release a lot of juice, and for this particular recipe we don’t want the strawberries to be overly liquidy.
- Assemble shortcake right before serving.
Can I Make the Sheet Pan Strawberry Shortcake Ahead?
The shortcake is a slightly sweetened biscuit dough, so it is best eaten the same day it is baked. To make ahead, bake the shortcake in the morning, then prepare the whipped cream and strawberries within an hour of serving and keep refrigerated. Assemble right before serving.
How to Store Leftover Strawberry Shortcake
This strawberry shortcake is best served the same day, but is fine to be stored in the refrigerator as leftovers. The cake will be a little denser due to the cold from the refrigerator and the whipped cream and strawberry juice will start to be absorbed into the cake. Cover the entire dessert with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
More Summer Dessert Recipes
- Red, White and Blue M&M Cookie Bars
- Jello Pudding Pops
- Thick and Creamy Banana Pudding
- Cherry Pie Bars
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar granulated
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold, 2 sticks
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 pounds strawberries washed and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar granulated, more or less depending on berry sweetness
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- chamomile flowers optional
Preheat oven to 400℉ and set aside a non stick 13x10 sheet pan.
If using a food processor, add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in food processor. Pulse briefly to combine. Add cold butter to food processor and pulse briefly several times until butter is combined with flour and mixture resembles coarse sand. Transfer mixture to mixing bowl and stir in eggs, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Stir just until combined.
Transfer shortcake dough to sheet pan and use slightly damp hand to spread dough evenly on sheet pan. Use a spoor or spatula to smooth dough.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until shortcake is golden brown. Remove and let cool completely.
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar together until soft peaks form. Do not over beat. You can also use a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
Slice strawberries and mix with sugar and lemon juice.
Let shortcake cool, then top with whipped cream, followed by strawberries. Serve immediately for best results.
Flag Strawberry Shortcake Instructions
To decorate the Sheet Pan Strawberry Shortcake as a flag:
- Prepare shortcake according to instructions, but instead of slicing the strawberries, cut them in half before adding sugar and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, toss a small amount of blueberries with a sprinkle of sugar and lemon juice.
- Before serving, arrange shortcake as pictured.
- Use chamomile flowers as star accents.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
Such a good idea for feeding a lot of people! I love how easy it is to make and assemble too.
Brought this sheet pan strawberry shortcake to our dinner party, it was a hit! It tasted so decadent and bursting with flavors!
This Strawberry Shortcake recipe is a must try! The recipe is so good that the results were amazing.