Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili has become one of my go-to weeknight dinners. It’s so easy to put together and it makes a hearty and delicious dinner. Since I work at home, I almost always have leftovers for lunch and this recipe is one of my favorites because it heats up well and makes plenty of leftovers.
What I really love about this slow cooker chicken taco chili is that there is no browning or sautéing needed. Just add your ingredients to the slow cooker along with the uncooked chicken breasts and the chicken cooks right in the slow cooker. When it’s done cooking, just take out the chicken breasts, shred them and return them to the slow cooker.
This is a hearty, mild chili packed with traditional chicken taco seasonings. If you want to add more spice, you can increase the chipotle in adobo or add a diced jalapeño. I love piling this chicken taco chili with my favorite taco toppings. Melted cheese, fresh tomatoes, avocados, sour cream and fresh cilantro. You can’t go wrong! You can ever served this over tortillas chips or corn chip! Yum!
If you aren’t going to add fresh tomatoes to the top, try adding a 14.5 oz can of drained, diced fire roasted tomatoes to the slow cooker before cooking. Delicious!
Here is a quick video of the recipe so you can see how easy it is to make!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and several turns of freshly ground pepper
- 2 heaping tablespoons of diced chipotle in adobo
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 15 oz can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can of red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 6 oz of Mexican-style lager beer
- Shredded Cheese
- Freshly Chopped Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro or Green Onions
- Combine whole chicken breasts, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, chipotle in adobo, seasoning, beans and beer in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts, shred and return to slow cooker.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Top with cheese, fresh tomatoes, avocados, sour cream and fresh cilantro.
For even more dinner ideas, check out these easy dinner recipes!
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
If you like this recipe, you may also like some of my recent favorites:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS